ns_fishtank

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Postby zzSleeper » Sun Aug 24, 2003 12:43 pm

nasty man, how do you accumulate so many? to much warezing i bet =P
/zzSleeper
/Jonathan
zzSleeper
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot

Postby Wolfgang » Sun Aug 24, 2003 1:08 pm

Simple. I download a bit of warez. And its the fan... Its been blowing hot air for about 4 months. I think it was after that 5 month on time....
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby SputGop » Mon Aug 25, 2003 8:16 am

Ok I uploaded the rmf to my ftp mcriot
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby McRiot » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:46 pm

I've been encouraged to continue working on my fishtank and now have all my tools pretty well reinstalled and reconfigured since my last HardDrive crash. I will be attempting to compile ns_fishtank2.0 tonight. nothing new has been added, infact I think I lost some of the new stuff I was working on for v11 only thing im accomplishing tonight is to hopefully make it compaitable with ns2.0 and get it ready for 3.0 after that. I shall continue working on the frustrating bugs and add to the map and probably change textures yata yata yata. Look forward to some updated versions in the near future.
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby nooby » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:04 am

Wow, problems galore, all the best. What are the latest tools for map making and is there one place for absolute beginners to go for information, tools, hints, how to start, etc. I thought I would like to try and make a map to go with my story I put on the NS FanFic Forum. Hope all goes well with your format, I just did one again as well.
Life has a poignant twist to it.
nooby
OldF Scribe
OldF Scribe

Postby McRiot » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:43 am

see the sticky thread by me above this topic Noob. "Introduction For Getting Started" I need to update the tools slightly, i'll update them soon but the intro is pretty good for a quick start. Check the other topics we have in this section of our forum to learn more.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby nooby » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:13 am

I read before posting and saw the date and thought there must be updates or different tools by now, that was why I posted inquiring about them. Thanks for reply.
Life has a poignant twist to it.
nooby
OldF Scribe
OldF Scribe

Postby Niteowl » Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:14 am

best of luck with that mc :D
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby McRiot » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:48 pm

.RAR: ns_fishtank01_b3

.ZIP: ns_fishtank01_b3

This is the first compilation since I lost many changes due to the HardDrive crashes I have had, this version seems to work for NS2.0 however expect a new and improved version soon as I redo previous changes and improve on other parts of the map to better support NS2.0 and soon 3.0. For now feel free to enjoy my crapier version untill I am able to release a new version, simply install straight into your ns directory.

Note to PJ,OM,RH admins if you'd be so kind as to put my betas on the server as I release them so I can playtest them as I work on them I'd Appreciate it. TY.
Last edited by McRiot on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:19 pm

on RH.

-Tyg

Postby McRiot » Wed Mar 10, 2004 3:30 pm

Once again I have picked up my fishtank project and after again loosing changes I made to previous version I intend to restructure and texture this map. With many new changes brought by NS3.0 my idea to intergrate the ready room without interaction is becoming easier to do. However, I am looking for help this time round as I have deleted many buged out walls, hallways that just were simply to plain and need to apply new textures and lighting. So if you care to lend a hand, some time and your expertise please contact me on IRC or post here. I will prepare an ftp account for the transfer of rmf files for those helping out. In the meantime I will continue to work on this myself and for better for worse, I WILL eventually offer a new and more exciting ns_fishtank then ever before!

small list of changes needing help:
- removed a few hallways connecting rooms completly, need to recreate and design better hallways connecting rooms
- retexture most if not all the map
- wish to add windows/skylights to view outside parts of map
- some vents need to be reconstructed
- floors, walls and ceilings need to be reconstructed in smaller pieces

other improvements welcomed
this release will be awhile in the workings, the idea is all here the blueprint is set I just need the man power to transform my noobish efforts in to something great and worth the work already put into it.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby blue » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:02 pm

I would like to help you...
I'm currently working on an opposing force- Poke646 map right now, but I could drop that to help you!
Blue has left.
blue
Champion of Bengay

Postby McRiot » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:42 am

hey blue you still up to lending me a hand? Do you use irc or teamspeak much? maybe we can connect. I'm still working on this project little by little :P
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Re: ns_fishtank

Postby McRiot » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:29 am

I WISH I FINISHED THE FINAL VERSION OF THIS MAP BUT HERE ARE SOME PICs I DUG UP FOR OLD TIME SAKE.. *caps lock was to emphasize this is a very old topic and this is a new update*

DOWNLOAD: - These files have not been tested in a very long time, I have no idea if they work with the current NS version. These are the last versions I have on record.
ns_fishtank01_b3.zip
WARNING THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED RECENTLY!
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 117 times

ns_fishtank10_v2.zip
WARNING THIS HAS NOT BEEN TESTED RECENTLY!
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 112 times

These are also older versions then the screenshots taken below.
The screenshots was my latest re-design from scratch that was in the works before the project ended.

Probably the Source File for the re-make that never got finished* may be bugs trying to open this with the Newest version of Hammer
ns_fishtank2.0.zip
*I THINK* THIS IS THE SOURCEFILE TO THE FISHTANK REMAKE.
if anyone wants to figure out how to open it or whatever, feel free to edit and do with it what you like, otherwise it will sit here now forever*
(127.02 KiB) Downloaded 107 times

I've also posted these for my own record/backup

The early versions of this map were developed when their were many NS Exploits and Bugs. Ie, fades could blink through glass and some walls. The map was made and re made many times to prevent these exploits. Now that NS has cleaned up many of these bugs this map is much more viable unfortunately the remade version never got 100% finished.

Map concept:
Double res room, or ObsRoom is the focal point of this map, all hives are connected to this room in some way and the marine start has a few ways in as well. Unlike many NS maps where the ready room is in some distant galaxy far far away from the actual map ns_fishtank includes the readyroom as part of the design. Ready room spectators can enter a sealed bunker type room where they are in the center point of the map and see what's going on without spectate mode. a glass/see through type vent also runs through both the ready room and connects to the ObsRoom "double nodes". Readyroom people may see skulks running through this vent to get from one side to another side of the map. Of course given the name fishtank, theirs a large fishtank overseeing both the "double nodes".
Attachments
marinestart.jpg
marinestart.jpg (421.54 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
hive2.jpg
hive2.jpg (723.28 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
hive3.jpg
hive3.jpg (770.38 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
vent.jpg
vents run all over the map like tubes in a fishtank, some vents are 100% see through, marines can see a skulk skittering through a vent but are unable to shoot through the glass.
vent.jpg (520.19 KiB) Viewed 3849 times
obsdeck.jpg
The point of view of this pic is taken from part of the readyroom, the idea being that people in the ready room could see action in the game without being able to interact with the action.
obsdeck.jpg (369.72 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Re: ns_fishtank

Postby zolop » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:26 am

sweet McRiot!

Maybe you should try making some NS maps but using the new Hammer tools? Just to give yourself practice so when NS2 comes out you can immediately start building levels for it?
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Previous

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden