ns_fishtank

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

ns_fishtank

Postby McRiot » Fri Apr 04, 2003 2:51 pm

Edit: My latest version can be found on each of my last posts in this topic try checking the last page in the topic for more information on the progress of ns_fishtank

--------------------
The name was something i came up with just to save my map although the fishtank idea came from somewhere I suppose ;P. I'm almost done a playable version of my map i think but I have some problems was hoping some uber mappers might be able to give me some tips in the right direction.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG
my map isn't that big but parts of it is very very chopy, I'm using just the basic entities and the walls floors are flat no weird designs, view distance is also pretty short for the most part.

those mappers who would be so kind as to helping me tweak it can contact me on this forum or in our irc channel #oldfogies on gamesnet.net.

it's not at all a complexed map, it's like my first one that i'm sorta happy with, my fav part is the ready room :P

I WISH I FINISHED THE FINAL VERSION OF THIS MAP BUT HERE ARE SOME PICs I DUG UP FOR OLD TIME SAKE.. *caps lock was to emphasize this is a very old topic and this is a new update*
Attachments
marinestart.jpg
marinestart.jpg (421.54 KiB) Viewed 3320 times
Last edited by McRiot on Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby SputGop » Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:21 pm

Please post the map for us to see. :)

On the topic of lag, have you checked your r_speeds? Also, if you find an area with high r_speeds turn on wireframe mode to see where faces are being split, and turns the details that split the faces into func_walls. I saved about 100 r_speed on my ready room doing that. :)
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby McRiot » Mon Apr 07, 2003 9:10 am

quick update

I'll be posting the bsp file soon, been working on it all weekend even had the chance to test it on Funka!s' JUICE server, thanx again Funka! few more adjustments and the map should be playable, it's not yet however pretty looking, i've recruited imp to help me style it up but I want to test out game play before I put to much work in the design of the map. So maybe thursday night practice we can give it a good try team vs team and see how it plays out. Just keep in mind this is my very FIRST map so n00bish tendancies may be included but i'm working hard at learning everything I can, EKM in our irc channel has been very helpfull in this learning process.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby dklein » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 pm

McRiot wrote: Just keep in mind this is my very FIRST map so n00bish tendancies may be included but i'm working hard at learning everything I can, EKM in our irc channel has been very helpfull in this learning process.

W00t! I'm not concerned about yr 'n00bish tendencies' -- I'm excited to be able to play a map by one of the clan! Neato!

I look forward to a Few Good Games whenever you release it :)
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby SputGop » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:26 pm

Is this a "fun" map or one that comlies with the guidelines?
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby McRiot » Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:37 pm

the first few versions will be more of a fun map, but my future plans for this map will hopefully comply with the ns structure. The reason i'm not attempting a ns official type map at this time is simply i'm a n00b and a fun map is easier to make and play with new features with out major consequence. Long term plans however don't limit this fun map to becoming a map with more structure. I have put a lot of imagenation into it this far and doing my best at thinking ahead however, i'm sure I haven't thought about everything which is why we'll need to play it a few times to figure out what it needs. I plan to have a playable release by thursday nights practice.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby McRiot » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:41 am

another update

I worked on it again for most of last night and tested it a few times, got some bugs to clear up still but i'm now uploading versions to this link: http://sven.razenet.com/fishtank/ ns_fishtank02.zip being the latest with more updates to follow. I'll be working on it again tonight and hopefully have imp start styling it up and light it up as I continue to work out my bugs and decrease lag.

I've also uploaded the .rmf files for any mapers who might want to help me out give me tips. I'm also looking for an entity guide as some I have no idea what to use for or what some of the properties do.

Also if anyone could tell me how to apply a mini map to the comm chair and apply names to the hives I would appreciate it. For the mini map I got as far as taking a top down view using the "dev overview" command (i think that's the cmd) but no clue how to apply it. I checked the hive properties for a place to stick a name on them, nothing. Any help in that area would be appreciated.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby The Nighthawk » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:54 am

I took a quick tour of the fishtank last night with Sputgop and I have a question...

How the frick do you get out of the marine start without Jetpacks!!! :evil:

:wink:
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby McRiot » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:57 am

with a little know how and team work :P you can boost over the wall and weld the door open. fishtank02 has a new jetpack route though.

Oh yes and those who want to take tours of my new versions I'll be running them on my server @ 24.84.96.6:27015 temppass: xxx those admins who want access to the bots please post your wonid in my server sticky under the back porch. Instructions on running the bots can also be found on the Back Porch
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby dklein » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:21 am

The Nighthawk wrote:I took a quick tour of the fishtank last night with Sputgop and I have a question...

How the frick do you get out of the marine start without Jetpacks!!! :evil:

:wink:

I think it was Kincaid who discovered the 'gimme a boost' ploy when we first tried The Fishtank. I was comm, and thought I had to tech up, as well. Mind you, teching to JPs on the map is still advised, but I like the idea of having to 'break into' the main part of the map.
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby The Nighthawk » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:11 pm

Heh, the only problem with that was I was on my own on the marine team, and Sputgop couldn't find the marine start :roll: .

So what is welding beside that wall supposed to do? I figured it would drop the wall...
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby SputGop » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:05 pm

McRiot wrote:Also if anyone could tell me how to apply a mini map to the comm chair and apply names to the hives I would appreciate it. For the mini map I got as far as taking a top down view using the "dev overview" command (i think that's the cmd) but no clue how to apply it. I checked the hive properties for a place to stick a name on them, nothing. Any help in that area would be appreciated.

Ok, to build your commander minimap, just type in the console "buildminimap". It takes about a minute or two, and will create a "mapname.spr" file which you distribute along with the BSP. One thing to note about the minimap is that it judges the depth based on the lowest point of the map which you set in the info_mapinfo entity.

To give the hives a name, just make a big brush around the spwan area of the particular hive, and tie it to the "info_location" entity. Then you set the name of the info_location, and any hive inside that area will be named after it.

Here's an entity guide: http://www.planethalflife.com/nsworld/M ... p#Entities
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby McRiot » Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:13 pm

Thanx Sput!, appreciate the help, I actually figured out the minimap command after I posted that, but the hive naming helps me, thnx very much.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby SputGop » Wed Apr 09, 2003 6:30 pm

I've been thinking about the "lag" that's on the map, and probably the problem is that since the map is fullbright, you didn't run VIS. When you run VIS the lag will probably go away. :D
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby McRiot » Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:43 pm

update

not the best update yet, i'm afraid I got some bad news, I'm in the process of remaking fishtank. My n00bish mapping techniques got the better of me hopefully version remake will turn out better then this one did, still going to try and keep the style, idea, vents and doors I have, basicaly i'm salvaging what I can from the orginal except remaking it so hopefully it'll work. Thus thi means no playable version for tonights practice :{ wish me luck on the remake.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Next

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden