Ni's idea

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Ni's idea

Postby Ni » Thu Dec 30, 2004 5:12 pm

Inspired by the Spleen..

Before I further develop/idiscuss my idea...I need some knowledge from ye map builders.

1. Can you start a ns map with some rine structres prebuilt (i.e., an IP)?

2. Can you create areas where rines can go, but aliens can't (some sort of a force field or something)?

3. Can you limit what aliens can evolve into (i.e, no lerks)?

4. Could you make a weldable door trigger then end of a game (i.e., if marines weld X, the marines win)?

Thanks in advance.
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby Frosty Topaz » Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:53 am

It may be possible to do the weldable idea at least. Put big trigger_hurt's in each hive location. Have them go off when the weldable is done. 9999999 dmg ought to be enough. This all assumes that trigger_hurt's will damage structures.

Seems to me the alien tactic would be to simply cram as much lame as they could right in front of the weldable.

Prebuild structures should also be possible (I think they're just entities), or at least pre-dropped. But i don't think you can block one team and not the other or prevent certian evolutions.
Last edited by Frosty Topaz on Fri Dec 31, 2004 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frosty Topaz

It isn't easy being ice-encrusted aluminum silicate flouride hydroxide...
Frosty Topaz
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Ni's idea

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:55 am

1. Can you start a ns map with some rine structres prebuilt (i.e., an IP)?

This functionality is limited and though I think it would be easy to implement, it hasn't really been yet. A future version might have this. It would be nice, but as far as I know, there are very few pre-built structures. Ips I honestly doubt (though I'm very far from my computer with Hammer, so I dunno)

2. Can you create areas where rines can go, but aliens can't (some sort of a force field or something)?

No. You can set up so that a door opens using a trigger_presence set to the marine team, but that door will also be open to aliens. One way doors a certainly possible, (switch on only one side) but there is no way to filter aliens and marines via a force-field setup like the combine soldiers and gordon freeman in half life 2 for example. (Tricksy soldiers, you escape my crowbar, BUT NOT MY BULLETS! BWA HA HA!) This functionality would be nice to create DoD style spawning locations for combat.

3. Can you limit what aliens can evolve into (i.e, no lerks)?

That's a definate no. As long as they got res, they can evolve.

4. Could you make a weldable door trigger then end of a game (i.e., if marines weld X, the marines win)?

What frosty said.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Soylent » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:15 pm

I have seen a work around for the one team only doors on co_freefall. The door controls for the shuttle only work for the marine team. However, if the marines leave the doors open and walk away there is no way to prevent the aliens from just strolling right in.
Soylent
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Funka! » Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:27 pm

you could probably code an adminmod or amx plugin to restrict gestations based on the map. then you'd just need to be sure that any server running the map, should have this plugin installed.

-f!
Funka!
OldF Rockstar
OldF Rockstar

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sat Jan 01, 2005 11:27 am

zazi has a couple of maps if I remember right that had seige turrets and tf and defense chambers pre dropped in the map. The D chamber was 100% built but you had to build the turrets and TF. However there was some issue in getting the TF to automatically upgrade that didn't work.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Ni » Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:55 pm

Here's my crazy (but dumb) idea... [remember...I don't know anything about mapping, so half of this may be "impossible"]

I'm thinking a ns map.

Map is one long (could be winding, branching) passageway(s) from MS to "the self destruct panel" (or I guess it could be the "escape pod area").

No RTs on the map. Rines spawn with a certain amount of res. Having prebuilt structure would be cool, cause the comm could drop certain players shotties/HMG...but he'd have to spend his limited res wisely. He'd drop a welder (or two), and exit the comm chair. Then everyone would start heading for the "self destruct" panel.

Aliens have no RT either...have up to 29 res (not enough to lerk). Maybe have two or even all three hives. Thus, you only get enough res to gorge, drop one or more chambers and pick your upgrades. (or I suppose you could have the hives/chambers prebuilt). All exits out of the hive area would be vents up off the ground (make it hard for a gorge to leave the hive area (prevent lame in the marine passageway).

Lots and lots and lots of vents dumping out all along the marine passageway. Maybe they need 3 hives and a tweaked respawn timing...I'm looking for wave after wave of skulks pouring into the hallway.

Rines have to stick together as a group, watching both directions in the hallway as they head for the self destruct.

Weld the self destruct panel and the game ends.

I suppose you could start with a whole bunch of ips too...so the rines could keep respawning and forming back into groups for heading down the hall again.

You could have all of the vents be weldable...the rines could weld them shut as they went along the passageway.

I imagine that it would work best with a full server. I imagine that it would be a bear to balance.

Thanks for listening to my crazy idea...feel free to call it what it or suggest other crazy ideas to go with it.
Ni

Postby Dreya » Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:21 pm

You know, I was just browsing through this section again and I really like the idea, Ni. The one question I have about it, is how are the kharaa going to win? Will there be a timelimit, like in combat, or do they have to kill the marine spawn while the marines are trying to get to the exit. The former would be rather hard to implement on an ns map, and a classic game would work perfectly for this kind of map. The latter though would get really boring for those that died later on. Maybe you could have successive rooms with CCs that have to be built, but could be spawning points closer to the end? You'd have to weld in, and once you did all the vents in the area would open so the kharaa couldn't take it down beforehand though. But it would leave a new bit of strategy to the game, do we want hmgs at the start or should we save for more armories and ips later on?
Biting and clawing.
My armor, pitted and worn
Save me, dear welder!
Dreya
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Ni » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:55 pm

Great ideas Dre.

I was envisioning timed. The marines would have x minutes to "escape."
Ni

Postby RedFyreWyrm » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:26 pm

You are able to start a map with prebuilt structures and it can be any kind of structure. You even can give the structures to the wronge team if u want to (though i dont know if they work)
~bait
RedFyreWyrm
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden