Ns_Richmond_B1E : PlayTesting / Feedback

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Ns_Richmond_B1E : PlayTesting / Feedback

Postby Confused » Sat Jan 15, 2005 1:50 am

I am at best unsure what the map will play like, as a result i have been sending it out to various places in an attempt to get player time on it. i am hoping to get a good picture of what the NS community as a whole think of it. As a result i am comming in and requesting that of take a gander at it. I would love to have a playtest or even just feedback.

pictures( not all of the current version)
download

that said the map is currently in beta and i expect it to have some bugs in it.

Known Bugs
most noticibly it has a few strange clipping bugs. i am wandering thoguht different compile tools in an attempt to find one that doesn't create the Problems. ***If you should get stuck in mid air as a jp marine crouching will drop you through the error to the floor *** please note this happens in 2 areas athat i am aware of either of which have been pariticularly high traffic. however it is a noticble bug.

the lighting of skulks on ceilings is not consistant with their surroundings this is an engine bug and can only be fixed by me changin the light set up of the level. however if it is a big enough problem i will do that. again this should only be a problem in a few areas but once again it is a bit game play altering.

The button in power control
this button will toggle the internal windows of the level on and off. text should warn you when the state of windows changes. Windows are located in cargo transfer, the bridge and lab. In some cases this is buggy i am unsure why. But, I belive it to be caused by demons in my cpu.

once again thank you for your comments and time.

- Confused!-TSA[e/r]
Confused

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:50 am

Is that the force fields off button? It's really not obvious.

I like the map, it's pretty good. Some improvement comments:

- minimap sprite is confuzzling. Too many good maps suffer because of inadequate minimaps. There were many areas of the map where I was looking at the minimap and saying to myself, "this should go through" but there was a wall there, or it was impassable. Vents need to be 'called out' in a different color.

- couple areas of the level have no floor, and looks like you should be able to drop below into a pit/vent but don't. Might be better just to have grating instead.

- there needs to be a quick way to up to observation deck from the lower level.

- maybe expand one area for large blink or jetpack access, this adds a 'fun factor' on most of the good ns maps. Maybe the area around the light enshrouded res node, perhaps make one of the windows breakable or expand the pit around it and add vent access below the node.

- overall it felt 'hard' to get around if I didn't have a jp or wasn't a skulk. This just may be map unfamiliarity tho.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:53 pm

It's a nice map. Lots of dark places for skulk ambushes, lotts of nice halls for sg/hmg action. I liked the light/dark contrasts. I think your off to a good start.
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby BigDXLT » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:34 pm

That's nice! I like the use of custom textures! I like how the lighting is done. Lots of dark corners and ceilings yet leaving the floor bright most of the time. I'd like to play this map on the servers! I didn't find any particular glitches myself, but I just did a quick run through the map. I like how you did that weldable near marine spawn. Don't know if it'll see much use, but I like how it's controllable afterward. If you see that it's not being used, maybe put the weldable on the marine side and the switch on the alien side. Would make for some interesting ninja missions!

What compile tools do you use? I use cagey's p13 build and find that cliptype normalized makes the most glitch-free clipping hulls. (I still think p13 is the all around most stable build.)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Confused » Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:59 pm

i am in fact using p13, im using precise. and bounce 0:)

minimap sprite changes would be a good idea. added.

i am unsure where you mean by observation deck, if this is the loactionwith the power button i have a plan in the works other wise a bit of clarification would help me.

i will look into adding a larger area for blink etc.

teh ligting was a bit harsh for some people do you guys find it to be so? particularly the fact that in some areas you had corners which were nearly black. i personally find little problem with that but it has been mentioned as a thing to change.
Confused

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:50 pm

Confused wrote:minimap sprite changes would be a good idea. added.

i am unsure where you mean by observation deck, if this is the loactionwith the power button i have a plan in the works other wise a bit of clarification would help me.

When I was walking around the area text pshowed up as "observation deck" lower left I think was the location.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby confused » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:38 am

in that case, teh window can be toggled off and tehre is a vent from teh hvie into the adjoining area.
confused

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:31 pm

Confused wrote:i am in fact using p13, im using precise. and bounce 0:)

I've had trouble with precise. I can't remember what exactly, but I had found something that I didn't like. I'm sure I used it for a while before I found this problem. (I haven't compiled a map in two months though). I really should have documented the problem, but normalized fixed it, made things peachy, and I forgot all about it.

I just remembered another glitch that caused holes in one map of mine. I had used hlfix instead of converting it to .map in hammer! I can't recall my exact settings, maybe it didn't jive well with another setting, but I know that two compiles of an identical map using the same compile setting caused a couple holes in one area! I didn't take any time to see if any of the cliptype settings would fix it.

Good luck!
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby Confused » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:18 am

yeah, i tried normailzed but i am over max clip nodes. i am playing with it a bit at a time. i may try zhlt3.0 by amckern and see if thtat helps things. but, yeah, thanks for the suggestions.
Confused

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden