Feeling Lazy? Come to mirc, the Fogie way!

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Feeling Lazy? Come to mirc, the Fogie way!

Postby North Wolf » Tue May 20, 2003 12:35 pm

http://sven.razenet.com/northwolf/OldFmirc.zip

Most of the time our little mirc hangout is kinda lonley, so I have launched a pet project to solve that dilemna.

I have made a custom mirc for old fogies that does practicly everything on its own. Once the link is up, anyone interested can just unzip the 1mb file, click the exe to start it and whoola!, your inside the mirc channel. It takes very little bandwith so its often handy to kill time, or talk to people before and after having a game with them (its fine to leave it running while playing, even on a sub standard system like mine). Getting everything up and running should take about 2min tops!

It's set to auto connect right to us, so no learning curve for those that are new to it, just add your name into the box at the start (as backup you can retain the nick default fogie and resist all change).

Most of us just leave mirc running, without being present there all the time, handy since you get messages and such when you feel like checking.

OldF mirc as some very nice special features using the F1 - F12 keys

1. Its themed for OldF-ns and pre set to eliminate all setup woes.

2. It can take you straight into our servers (it runs ns for you, and connects). At a key press! No work involved. Pressing F9-F11 will bring you into OM-RH-Prune directly.

3. It can connect to this forum, the server status page and ns home, at a key press. F5-F7, opens it up in the browser, no more turning it on, and finding your shortcut.

4. Pressing F12 pops up a window for pasting an IP into, once the IP is there ns will boot and that server will load. Handy pre scrim if we decide to have one, since we can meet up, discuss the plan and then just paste the game IP if its not ours.

5. The background immage will make you giggle like a young whipersnapper, if not.. you get a full refund!!!!!!*

6. Free senior citizen customer support. Our guys that already use mirc can help you out with whatever you want to do with it, ie. visit other hobby related channels, argue politics with strangers etc. I can also (and dont mind at all), make your copy more specific to you (add mp3 playing functions based on your music selection, make it auto run your fav games etc. ).

* In the event the background fails to make you giggle like a young whippersnapper, send a six pack and a self stamped envelope to my address, response will be within 3-4 weeks or your natural life time wich ever is longer, OldF cares about its customers, so you will also get lots of free spam about our products.

Installation: Unzip OldFmirc into program files (not totally required, but will get all path specific functions to work), so it should reside in c:/program files/mirc. Double click mirc.exe and you will be in our channel. Thats IT! Readme has been modified to lists the F keys in case you need to double check.

Existing mirc users can contact me to get the extra featuers or a how-to to set them up (to retain whatever setup your using).

Thanks to McRiot giving me ftp access on his own server, its now up and hosted at the addy above. Further cudos to Mc for testing out the version in proggress and from the zip. And NiteOwl for moral support. :D

Cheers,
NW
Last edited by North Wolf on Tue May 20, 2003 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
North Wolf
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Tue May 20, 2003 12:55 pm

great work there NW ! :) i'll get this on my puter when i get home :D

if any of you have new tools/artwork you wanna share with us, post it in the new tools and artwork forum.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby North Wolf » Tue May 20, 2003 7:01 pm

Alt background by McRiot, just unzip it and click on background pic in mirc and select new one.

This one is ns themed and fits the color scheme and ns feel if you get tired of having the funny in the background. Errie and good stuff.

http://sven.razenet.com/oldf-art/ns_bg2.zip

Cheers,
NW
North Wolf
Fogey
Fogey

Postby McRiot » Tue May 20, 2003 7:51 pm

the zip is the psd format, you can edit it how you see fit, resize ect.. the two formats I have compiled:

http://sven.razenet.com/oldf-art/ns_bg2.jpg
http://sven.razenet.com/oldf-art/ns_bg3.jpg

and NW thought it wuld be good to make it an alt bg for the custom mirc so enjoy i guess :P
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

yeah it's a little too little a little too late, but...

Postby [OldF]Komodo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 10:14 am

Hey Wolf could you put up that link again?
[OldF]Komodo
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF]Komodo » Mon Jun 16, 2003 1:17 pm

NM it's working now
[OldF]Komodo
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Darwin » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:06 pm

The link is dead for me :(
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Funka! » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:38 pm

it probably needed to have been updated, what with any of mIRC's vulnerabilities since then, i'm sure. this thread was, after all, over two years old!
holy necromancers of the undead!!!

-f!
Funka!
OldF Rockstar
OldF Rockstar

Postby Darwin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:55 pm

but...but....I hate the white on black text in default mode and I don't want to think!
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden