Want to begin making maps

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Want to begin making maps

Postby mooseman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:25 pm

Hey Guys,

I am curious about map creation, I mean, I'd like to try it. Considering that the Sticky's for this forum are three years old, I thought some important things had probably changed and I was hoping you might point me in a good (modern) beginning direction.

--Moose
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Beasty » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:33 pm

What do you want to make maps for? HL 1 or Source mods? If you want to make Source mods then you can go to the tools selection and download the Source tools witch has everything you need to make maps. And it works. No Congif to go through. For HL 1 it will take more time. You have to download hammer ad config it your self. This can be hard. For NS I havnt found a site that shows how to config it yet.
Beasty
Fogey
Fogey

Postby mooseman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:04 pm

Why, I wanted to make NS maps, of course. Silly Beasty. :)
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:23 pm

Wooo! I can give a ya a hand here. I'll go through the stickies first and update what I can.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby mooseman » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:35 pm

Thanks, D! I really appreciate that!
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:02 pm

Okay, I updated the download links. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of time here this week, so I can't redo the setup tutorial (the ns forums had a great pile of tutorials and such, unfortunately lost now.) Things like hammer stuff is still up to date but the batch compiler stuff is out of date a bit. Mind you most of it comes with decent instructions if I recall correctly.

Basically, you'll want to download all the stuff, then start setting it up. Setup hammer 3.4 before installing the 3.5beta patch. Then install the ZHLT compilers. Then setup batch compiler.

(I use the ZHLT p13 series compile tools. They're stable and work fairly well. I've been meaning to upgrade but unfortunately the forums died about that time, and I want to hear what other folks think of the p15 or 3.4 before I waste my time installing them.

These newer compilers eitherway are a must for NS maps. They fix a lot of problems and optimize the map a lot better. The "in the box" compilers included with Hammer haven't been updated since like 1997.)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:35 am

Mooseh!

May I suggest an Asimov Sideburn shrine of some kind?

Ho ho ho ho! Sideburns for everyone!!!
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby mooseman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:46 am

Florp Incarnate wrote:Mooseh!

May I suggest an Asimov Sideburn shrine of some kind?

Ho ho ho ho! Sideburns for everyone!!!

Hmmm, If I were more of a flash wiz, I would put together an application that would allow people to plaster sideburns on their avatars. Heh heh heh.

I always enjoy your rotating and often matching avatar and sig, Florp.

Sancho, on the other hand...(shudders)

edit:: we need to have a sig and avatar gallery in our Flikr...some of them are too precious to be lost to fogey alzheimers.
edit::edit:: I mean, we need to be able to look at anonymoose's old sig sometimes to be able to get enough blood pumping to stand up in the morning...plus, no new fogies will understand all the references we made in all our old posts to the sig pics.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Sancho » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:59 am

I might be able to help a bit, but its been a good year or two since I've done any mapping...

I'll try to idle IRC if I remember.
Sancho
Sensuous Señor Sombrero
Sensuous Señor Sombrero

Postby Niteowl » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:26 am

mooseman wrote:edit:: we need to have a sig and avatar gallery in our Flikr...some of them are too precious to be lost to fogey alzheimers.
edit::edit:: I mean, we need to be able to look at anonymoose's old sig sometimes to be able to get enough blood pumping to stand up in the morning...plus, no new fogies will understand all the references we made in all our old posts to the sig pics.

Are you volunteeristerizing for it?! I SECOND THAT MOTION! we TABLE IT! IT"S CARRIED! Congrats Mooseman, official Sig and Avatar Librarianeer!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby mooseman » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:00 pm

:shock: :oops:

Hmm, well you are playing fast and loose with Robert's Rules of Order there, but I guess I don't mind pursueing that activity.

Ok, I started organdizing a little...
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Gimp » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:44 pm

I'm in the same mapping boat as Sancho, except that I am almost always on IRC and teamspeak.
Gimp
Blink!
Blink!

Postby Imperator » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:31 am

*blink blink* Someone knows what Roberts Rules of Order is? Woot!
Imperator
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:40 am

A higher percentage of folks around this here parts know, or have hoid about RRC. I'm not sure why.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Imperator » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:43 am

I think its cuz the Old Fogies tend to recruit intelligent, fun, and damn good people. Cuz you know.. to be a good person you gotta know about RRoO! ^_^. Also I'd like to get into making some new NS maps as well, perhaps we could get an Fogies Collab going ;)
Imperator
Fogey
Fogey

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden