co_spire

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

co_spire

Postby Impulzv » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:42 am

I'm going to try my hand at map editing, but seeing as someone with more experience is going to be able to crank this out faster, here's a suggestion: How about a more vertical style map? Something that lets both teams take more advantage of JP's, wall-walking, Lerks, etc.

The basic concept would be a Rampage-style skyscraper with multiple floors. Put Marine start at the top and Alien start at the bottom. (Concept-wise, it makes sense that the aliens are dug in and the Marines were "airlifted" onto the roof. That and the fact that Marines have to work up to JP's, but Skulks can climb walls right out of the gate.) Every floor has at LEAST two windows, with breakable glass to start. Add stairways between the floors and enjoy.

Gameplay Features:

The ground outside the building is instant death. This helps keep the "tunnel-crawl" feel going, while providing both teams with equal access to shortcuts to the many floors. Should also make for some really fantastic aerial battles.

Elevators. JP'ers can fly, Lerks can fly, Skulks can climb the outside walls, and Fades can blink straight up, but non-JP'ers, Onoses and Gorges need a way to move several floors up quickly in an emergency. Not necessarily one that runs from top to bottom, but interspersed ones that bridge anywhere from 3 to 7 floors. (Think Chutes and Ladders.)

Optional Features:

Weld points. These could include 'security windows' for sealing off certain floors from the outside and elevator controls (either activating/deactivating them or changing directions.)

Outside ladders. Same as the elevators. Not all the way from top to bottom but as an alternate route up or down the building. Preferable not bridging the same floors as the elevators.

Mods disabled. (If memory serves, PJ doesn't run the parachute mod which would muddy the point of keeping most of the action indoors.)

Personally, I think this one would be a lot of fun and I have seen maps use amazing amounts of empty vertical space (co_birdman or something, name eludes me at the moment) but I have yet to see one capitalize on that as far as a vertical structure. As I mentioned, I'm going to try this out, but please, if you can build it, do it. All I really care about it getting it out there to play.
fallout[aeronautics] wrote:Xeno-redemption skulk is the pro strat.

Anywhere else, its a five minute explanation and a funny look. Here, its comedy gold. :-D
Impulzv
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Niteowl » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:19 am

Vertical maps can work for CO (co_ninjafall comes to mind). Wait. I think all the vertical maps I played were classic. In any case. Not more than one floor was buildable or usable. Best of luck on the whole map editing thing!
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Impulzv » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:24 am

Right. It would have to be CO, due to the fact that you can't change elevation as a Comm. (Although why they didn't put that in is beyond me, lol.)

Anywhere else, its a five minute explanation and a funny look. Here, its comedy gold. :-D
Impulzv

Postby Darwin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:46 am

ns maps :(

However that sounds like a passable map design, if..well...huge for a co map.

Try it as an NS Map maybe? Hives on different floors.... I dunno. Interesting idea.

To keep the space theme, have it in a cargo hold waiting for delivery to some planet.

Then at 15 minutes dump the thing in space.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby Impulzv » Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:11 pm

You still run into the problem of not being able to Comm multiple levels. I liked the idea of making it NS, until Nite pointed out that fact. You'd only be able to build on the roof or the ground, and the ground being instant death kinda negates that one. I like the idea of the airlock though. Maybe set it up so that people inside the building are immune to the suction, but anyone outside gets sucked (okay, yes, in actuality you get 'blown' out into space for all you physics sticklers) out.

See? Brainstorming. Its what makes forums so interesting. :D

EDIT: Although I have come to despise that co_airlock map. Nothing like spawning back in to hard vacuum.

Impulzv

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:44 pm

*cough*cough*co_nadirandthespaceskulksglitch*cough*cough*
;)

But really though, I've always wanted to make a more vertical map. co_nadir was my (thus far only) attempt at making one, but due to my nub skills, it ended up playing quite "two-dimensionally".

One design I've had in my head for some time but not been able to bring to realization is a "missle silo" style. Think the missile silo levels of Goldeneye for the N64. (It could be some kind trekky style "core" or whatever too, not just a missile.) Cat walks and a bit of room to move vertical, but with something in the middle to keep r_speeds at an acceptable level.

I'm having a hard time reinstalling Hammer 3.5 when NS2 is on the horizon... (which should, theoretically, allow for a lot more interesting things, like airlocks, etc.)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Amnizu » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:05 pm

Darwin wrote:ns maps :(

However that sounds like a passable map design, if..well...huge for a co map.

Try it as an NS Map maybe? Hives on different floors.... I dunno. Interesting idea.

To keep the space theme, have it in a cargo hold waiting for delivery to some planet.

Then at 15 minutes dump the thing in space.

Didn't Zazi or someone else have a combat map with 3 or 4 different levels? The alien hive ended up being right above or right below the marine start, so aliens healed in MS. It was brutal.
Amnizu
Shockingly Good At Video Games

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:58 pm

BigDXLT wrote:...co_nadir...

The last version actually fixed the healing in marine start business by adding a fourth level to it (that you couldn't actually access.) Although, you could still be healed in the room directly above the hive, however, nobody would actually want to go to this room anyway.

Also, the elevators were glitchy as old hell when playing in an online environment.

Also, this was my first map I ever released and boy, does it show! Overall this map was a mess. Too long of narrow hallways, too repetitive (even though it was intentional) and while a fun experiment to make, not a terribly fun map to play. Learned a hell of a lot though, and I think moira ended up being 100 times the map nadir was. (Even for its faults.)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:40 pm

Nadir was fun!

I'll never forget getting outside the space station, climbing up the wall to MS, and taunting the marines through the window :D

Space skulk ftw!
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden