Slowly but surely

From game maps and mods to random artwork and writing, it's the place to be when your not at the coffeeshop or taking a nap!

Re: Slowly but surely

Postby CanadianWolverine » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 pm

I didn't notice the HMG before! :D

I don't see the outline that is noted in #2 OR #3, but those are my favourite(s).

Also, I think I saw a what the TF2 flamethrower guy looks like out of the suit today in a Simpson's episode. A guy with a beard who says "Homer, you should do what is right for your family ... oh, and if you could kill someone on your way out that would really help."
Check it out! I finally figured out where to make a avatar that will fit on the forums! http://www.shrinkpictures.com/create-avatar/

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/
CanadianWolverine
Cutest. Baby. Evar.
Cutest. Baby. Evar.

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:48 pm

BigDXLT wrote:Edit: The trick will be to keep things within size limits. Will post as I make progress.

Making mini-pies that still look like pies is incredibly difficult. I've come up with something that looks like a piece of cake, but mostly they look like poo.

Instead, I think I might stand a better chance with these:

I'm thinking red for "read" and blue for "unread"... and the crit glowy effect for active topics!

Edit: Wolvie, the outline is around the geezer and sasha, to make them stand out against the text a bit.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby McRiot » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:36 am

I actually like the original best, the hint of the hmg being there but not standing out as a primary object. kind of something that you might see if you look good but a quick glance and you might not notice.

BigD when you have a final product for the new oldf logo could you send me a copy of the psd file. I'm considering working on a steam skin again. Other icons and images might be useful too.
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby Niteowl » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:28 am

CanadianWolverine wrote:Also, I think I saw a what the TF2 flamethrower guy looks like out of the suit today in a Simpson's episode. A guy with a beard who says "Homer, you should do what is right for your family ... oh, and if you could kill someone on your way out that would really help."

HOW DARE YOU NOT KNOW THE NAME OF HANK SCORPIO!! THE MOST PROGRESSIVELY MINDED EMPLOYER/EVIL GENIUS EVER!!!

Don't evne get me started on hammocks!!

And I like the last one the best, I can clearly see all the weapons and such. And only someone in the know would have any idea what that big ol' Hamgee is resting on the back of the geezer's chair.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:53 pm

McRiot wrote:BigD when you have a final product for the new oldf logo could you send me a copy of the psd file. I'm considering working on a steam skin again. Other icons and images might be useful too.

For sure, though it won't be in a .psd file. I'm working with Paint.net .pdn files at the moment. Photoshop might have a plugin for them though. You can try to see if you can get this file to open in the mean time.

Worst case scenario, I can .png the individual main layers for some of the graphics as needed. And I'm working with the image at 300% the final size so getting a good large scale "background" image shouldn't be too difficult.

Anyway: This is a remake on that last one, but I scaled down the hmg a bit (happy medium?) I kind of prefer this too.

Note to self: Fix blurriness.
Last edited by BigDXLT on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Blurry all of a sudden.
BigDXLT

Postby McRiot » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:52 am

couldn't get your file to open and downloading paint.net didn't like me much either. if you have another format I would still like to get my hands on the highest res version you got. Thanks.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby shipwreck » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:49 am

Good work, D. Mucho gusto.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:57 pm

Okay, figured out the cause of the blurriness, appears the "pan layer" tool thingamabob causes it. Good to know, but odd nonetheless. (It's a handy thing that let me move each layer seperately, yet the same amount if I wanted since PDN doesn't let me lock layers as far as I know.)

As well, you might be in luck here yet McRiot. I found a plugin that saves and loads .psd's within PDN.

Once you click here and download it, let me know so I can take it down. Unfortunately, this plugin is horribly inefficient and saves a 500 KB .pdn file as a 30 MB .psd! :O My google page can't handle files that big so I had to borrow some webspace from a friend. And that's just the old man... no guns... no text... just various pieces I put together and a couple reference images (which you'll want to hide before finalizing.) If you need me too, I can upload the finished logo when I'm happy with it.

Notes: For the usable graphic, I merged all the pieces except his left arm so I could put that in front of his gun, and then filled all the high contrast colour with black. I also rely on the shrinking process to add the anti-aliasing for me and smooth out the rough edges. (Go go carpentery class! Hide the mistakes with trim!) Just figured I'd explain that before someone opens it and says "wtf". Actually, if I cleaned all the crap out, I'd probably have a smaller file size...

Assuming it'll actually open in photoshop...
BigDXLT

Postby McRiot » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:34 am

good news is, it opened in PS just fine.

this is the bad news..
umm.jpg
umm.jpg (172.93 KiB) Viewed 2615 times

not exactly what I had in mind.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 pm

Well... yeah? The rest of the thing is a WIP at the moment... Like I said, I'm not too keen on converting the whole logo into a .psd because I'm afraid that it'll just come out as a 200 MB file (at that rate of expansion.) I've gotta clean out a lot of layers and crap first.

Edit: Okay, it wasn't as bad as I expected. Just a 50 meg freakin' picture, that's all.

Still, this plugin is ludicrous. :rolleyes:
BigDXLT

Postby zolop » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:27 pm

I like the 3rd one you posted in your ealier design bigD. Though all of them are pretty good though!
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Previous

Return to Tool Shed out by the Garden