Server password 18/19 change to 17/19?

The Life and Times of the Old Fogies NS2 server.

Server password 18/19 change to 17/19?

Postby Mohawk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 am

Lately the server has been at 17/19 locked. Did you guys up the reserved slots to 2 or is this an error?
Mohawk
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Re: Server password 18/19 change to 17/19?

Postby Canuck148 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:37 am

Not that I'm aware of.
Canuck148
Uber Fogey
Uber Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:38 pm

I think the issue here is the delay of the plugin in locking the server and kicking players. It just reacts slowly and due to that, sometimes under or overreacts. I will bring it up with the plugin creators. Thank you for reporting.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Mohawk » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Ah, that makes sense then. I hope they are able to speed it up in the future.
Mohawk

Postby mrmoo2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm

Just to update on this, I too noticed this today (had only seen it once prior). It's not a huge deal really as the server removed the password a couple mins later when the map switched. I believe it was around 7:30pm (between periods of the Canucks game :D....which we lost :( )
mrmoo2002

Postby Mayday » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:38 pm

mrmoo2002 wrote:Just to update on this, I too noticed this today (had only seen it once prior). It's not a huge deal really as the server removed the password a couple mins later when the map switched.

It IS a huge deal.

It's the reason the server dies, the vast majority of the time (besides end-of-the-night sleep time)

Whatever reserve plugin OldF uses for the server is awful.

I dunno if it only updates on map change, but it consistently won't un-password the server at 17/19 and under.

Here's a SS I took of 9/19 and it still being password.

Mayday
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Postby Florp Incarnate » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:17 am

Mayday wrote:Whatever reserve plugin OldF uses for the server is awful.

Yes.

It is also the only reserve plugin for NS2.

It works "most" of the time, which is the best that we can get. It is still better than no res slots at all.
Florp Incarnate

Postby Faust » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks for the screenshot. I'm not a huge fan of DAK myself. However, it's the best solution for reserve slots out right now. I might update it to see if that fixes the issue (hopefully the update doesn't introduce a bunch of new issues...). I think the reason why it's locking so early is that in your example, 9 other clients have already connected and are loading in the server, but don't actually show as in the server yet. How long does the stay locked at 9 people? If it's over 2 minutes with no change in player tally, then my theory is incorrect. I'll post about it in the DAK thread.

We've posted about this issue before. This is what the DAK author said (http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discuss ... in-mod/p11):

Yea the delay variables are in seconds, and were used to keep the cached lists in Sync. There used to be alot of issues with the playerlist reporting fake players, and also having disconnected players stick around for long periods of time. I did some testing recently, and it seems to overall be more accurate using the playerlist from the engine now, as the cached list also has a tendency to be inaccurate (mainly because disconnected clients have already been partly destroyed so you no longer have access to their steamID). The new version of the reserveslot plugin doesnt cache the playerlist anymore, and also I have fixed a couple issues that could have been causing the password to remain set even when it shouldnt have (there is still the possibility for issues, I still dont believe every client disconnect actually triggers the disconnect event).

You will want to leave the delays at their defaults most likely, going forward they will be used to check if the password should be set by that many seconds after clients connect/disconnect. It may actually benefit from increased delays (~5) seconds.

As for the server reporting its full (19/19 or w.e), that generally stems from the fact that once a new player connects, they occupy that slot. If it takes them a long time to load (2+ minutes is easily possible), the server will remain at 19/19. You can offset that by increasing the minimum slots to 2, but obviously that lowers your available slots.

Regarding the Badges mod, it actually reads the ServerAdmin.json file directly, and DAK doesnt update that with the admins pulled from the web. It stores those admins in a separate file to make sure any locally defined admins always have their rights, and so it knows who to remove when it updates from the web. I could make it use the single file but then there wouldnt be any locally defined admins.

The part I bolded is what I now think the issue is. People are disconnecting, but part of the server code that DAK checks still says that the players are still there. I play in the afternoon occasionally, and I've only seen the server lock on a small player count once. I don't recall if I waited 2-3 minutes or not. I just remember restarting the server and the issue was fixed.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Faust » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00 pm

So I posted the issue along with Mayday's screen shot in the DAK thread. This is xDragon's (mod author) response:

Hmmm well this is not the first time I have heard of this, so it may very well be the disconnect event not triggering correctly, or an issue with the builtin server function to get the current number of people playing. I think I am going to revert that option as I am suspicious it is causing some issues. I need to update the workshop build, which I am planning on doing tonight. My only concern currently is that it will break the configs that everyone has currently, as some headings and such have changed.

http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discuss ... mod#latest

Once the DAK update addressing this issue is out, I'll update DAK. I'll probably apply the update tomorrow afternoon.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Mayday » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:45 am

Faust wrote:So I posted the issue along with Mayday's screen shot in the DAK thread. This is xDragon's (mod author) response:

Cool.

My theory on the problem is the plugin not updating when people leave, but only on when the MAP CHANGES. I noticed after a round when people left, there was only 8-10 people, and no one joining.

Instead of trying to play another round, I explained over voice for people to RTV because the server is bugged/password, and that's why no one is joining.

No one did join until the RTV passed, and map changed.

Sure enough, within a minute people started flooding back into the server.

Hope the plugin author fixes it :)
Mayday

Postby Faust » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 am

Hope the plugin author fixes it

Well, he updated DAK a few hours ago, claiming that the issue is fixed. I just installed the latest version of DAK right now. Let me know if the server acts strangely.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Faust » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:13 pm

It looks like reserve slots aren't working right now. It might very well be a bug with the latest release of DAK. I'm going to try messing about with the config tomorrow, but it most likely is a bug with this release. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Wayward » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:08 pm

Just to confirm other occurences of this happening, it plagued me for a good part of saturday/ sunday. Generally it's only 17/19 when it happens which could easily have been just not registering a single player joining or leaving, but on sunday it had gotten down to 10/19 (I unfortunately do not have a screen shot). It was the first time I'd seen it get that low but it does, somewhat regularly, lock at 17/19.
Wayward

Postby Faust » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:14 am

Wayward wrote:Just to confirm other occurences of this happening, it plagued me for a good part of saturday/ sunday. Generally it's only 17/19 when it happens which could easily have been just not registering a single player joining or leaving, but on sunday it had gotten down to 10/19 (I unfortunately do not have a screen shot). It was the first time I'd seen it get that low but it does, somewhat regularly, lock at 17/19.

I installed the latest version of DAK, so hopefully the "early locking" issue will be a thing of the past. As the player population on the server died around midnight, I took the opportunity of an empty server to start a fresh config, and input our needed values in. Sv_listplugins is working now, and shows the reservedslots plugin working, so that sounds promising.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Faust » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:12 pm

So it looks like it was a config issue after all. I got res slots working. it seems some of the entries in the config are case sensitive. As I said earlier, please let us know of any server oddities.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Next

Return to Geriatric Ward NS2 Server