Custom maps?

The Life and Times of the Old Fogies NS2 server.

Custom maps?

Postby bp2008 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi all. You may have seen me around on the server once in a while as "Brian".

I am curious if there are any plans to put custom maps in the rotation. There are several good looking ones out on the workshop. They very rarely get played and surely it is not because they are all bad maps...
Brian
bp2008
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Re: Custom maps?

Postby Faust » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:40 pm

There are no current plans to add custom maps in map rotation.

OldF typically doesn't bother with custom maps from what I recall. Usually because it tends to deter people from joining the server. That's not necessarily set in stone though, especially if we see some exemplary ns1 remade maps.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:56 pm

I love playing custom maps too. The regulars usually turn their nose up at them though and next thing ya know the server is empty. I'd like to have them on so say, once a month, play custom map day or something. But with the current state of the map change plugins I don't foresee that happening any time soon. Maybe one day.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Nikon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:56 am

once server builds and admin tools stabilize, I would imagine custom maps would be revisited again.
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Right now we are fighting with other community servers for quality players. There are many more quality server slots than players at this point. Adding custom maps would cause many players to say "fuckit" and choose a different server instead of downloading. I personally am like this.

Once the community has shrunk a bit, and less successful servers have died off, we can look at introducing stuff which our regulars won't mind.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Mohawk » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:32 am

Canuck mentioned an event for fogies and reservists only, is there a chance we could give a custom map a try on a closed server?
Mohawk

Postby Faust » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 am

I'd be receptive to it. I'm not sure how other fogies will feel about that. Keep in mind a big content update is coming soon, which will include at least one new map.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby mrmoo2002 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:44 pm

I wonder if it would be possible to make one of the votemap options a random custom map? This would at least allow for the option to have a custom map played while leaving it out of the regular map rotation
mrmoo2002

Postby Faust » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:56 pm

Not a bad idea, though I'd worry about not attracting joiners when the custom map is running. Still not a bad idea though, especially if it was a decent remake of an NS1 map.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Wolfgang » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:56 pm

I think concerns are warranted - I know I tend to have issues with seemingly endless map download times (though that may be my connection). I think having a fogies night match to evaluate the map or something might work, and even then maybe only have it load on votemap, or something. Some of the NS1 map remakes are coming along nicely, but they seem somewhat unbalanced - which is to be expected.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Return to Geriatric Ward NS2 Server