Trolls abound on the NS2 servers

The Life and Times of the Old Fogies NS2 server.

Trolls abound on the NS2 servers

Postby Eviscerator » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 pm

Yesterday (and possibly today, who knows) a number of trolls were rolling through the most popular servers and destroying games. Their tactics were simple: coordinate an effort to eject the comm if they weren't one of the commanders, or step into the comm chair/hive whenever possible and ruin the game. They did this by recycling everything and then dumping the resources into scans or medpacks, or killing cyst chains and dumping resources into nutrient mist spams. I managed to capture the Steam ID of one of them before they quit the server:

He was on the OldF server yesterday afternoon, went by the name of "Mr. Fox" for a while, before getting into the comm position and changed his name to "Troll". So I wrote down his ID, came to this forum and registered an account just to post this info.
Eviscerator
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Re: Trolls abound on the NS2 servers

Postby Faust » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 pm

Thanks for the heads up Eviscerator. I was actually playing when the trolling duo was on our server. A res slot holder messaged me about what they were doing and I jumped on. I permabanned one of them initially (The steam ID you mentioned), as he was reported previously for doing the same stuff a couple months ago. I permabanned his friend later in the day for the same behaviour. If you continue to see this behaviour on our server, please use sv_status to get their steam ID and note the time and map when the issues occurred, then let us know about it on the forums. Thanks again for the pertinent info :)
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Eviscerator » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Awesome, that's great news. I like playing on the OldF servers because there are actually active admins who like to maintain an enjoyable experience. I only wish the other servers had some active admins!
Eviscerator

Postby mrmoo2002 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Trolls often change their name in between matches. Having their steamid is good when an admin gets on, but that wont stop them from trying to ruin future matches.

Solution: once you see a troll, mute them (hold tab, click anywhere and then click on the mic symbol next to their name). That way you when they inevitably change their name, you will still see a mute symbol next to the troll. It's also easier than typing sv_status again to search for the troll's steamid.

This has worked for me a few times and stopped troll comms from trying again under a different name and ruining another match.
mrmoo2002
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Wayward » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:41 pm

curiousity question how you preform an sv_status? Not much of an idea how to do it
Wayward

Postby Faust » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:55 pm

Eviscerator wrote:Awesome, that's great news. I like playing on the OldF servers because there are actually active admins who like to maintain an enjoyable experience. I only wish the other servers had some active admins!

Thanks! We try our best to maintain a quality experience on the server. Sometimes I wish admins were active on other servers too, specifically the co servers I occasionally frequent. Some of them don't keep their mods up to date very well.

Mr. Moo: Good suggestion!

Wayward: Open up the console (tilde key, to the left of the 1 key) and enter sv_status. It will give you a list of all connected players and their subsequent steam IDs. It's a great tool for keeping track of miscreants/trolls on the server.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:19 am

I believe I limited sv_status to reservists. Or at least, more detailed information in sv_status.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Faust » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:16 am

Florp Incarnate wrote:I believe I limited sv_status to reservists. Or at least, more detailed information in sv_status.

It's a user-level command, and there doesn't seem to be a way to block this for regular users. The extended information that DAK provides is currently only available to admins. I tested this by temporarily removing admin and res slot permissions from my account.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Squishpoke » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

What is your policy for trolls that I've noted on other servers? Will we have to wait until they hit OldF before we can report their behavior, so that admins can gather appropriate proof?
Squishpoke

Postby Faust » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Squishpoke wrote:What is your policy for trolls that I've noted on other servers? Will we have to wait until they hit OldF before we can report their behavior, so that admins can gather appropriate proof?

That's pretty much it squishpoke. We'd like to at least warn them before we kick/ban, and we want to see rule infractions first hand on our server before we take action. That being said, I wouldn't mind logging steam IDs of known troublemakers on other servers, so I can cross check them with our own notes and logs.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 pm

I saw them in action late night North American time on a number of servers, including TBG's. If we identify who that little crew is, we should definitely perma-ban them in advance.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby Squishpoke » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:39 am

Oh hey, 69351828 is exactly the id I had written down to warn in advance, but it looks like he's already banned. Nice work!

I don't know whats up with this guy, but he's been attempting to server hop and ruin games. I guess he has an axe to grind with NS2. Probably been own'd by a Fade too many times. :D
Squishpoke

Postby Faust » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am

Squishpoke wrote:Oh hey, 69351828 is exactly the id I had written down to warn in advance, but it looks like he's already banned. Nice work!

I don't know whats up with this guy, but he's been attempting to server hop and ruin games. I guess he has an axe to grind with NS2. Probably been own'd by a Fade too many times. :D

Yeah, I'm not too sure why they're spending so much time trolling NS2 servers. Speaking of which, free weekend is coming up. There's a possibility trolls will make new steam accounts (new steam IDs) to troll servers. If you see any trolling, immediately sv_status, get their steam ID and report it to an admin. Reserve slot holders can use the sv_eject <name/ID> to immediately boot a player out of the cc/hive.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Faust » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:22 pm

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this yet, but I want to remind everyone that cheaters and trolls (and abusive people) can be reported to Valve. On their steam profile, on the right side in grey text is a "report violation" button. Clicking this will spawn a popup window with four different radio buttons describing what the offence is. Click the appropriate button and add some text in the field below. I just reported a hacker in csgo using this method. I'm also reporting all suspected hackers on our server using this method. If you strongly believe someone is hacking in NS2, you can also report them to UWE by pm'ing a mod on their forum with appropriate info.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby MeowMix » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:55 am

troll comm tonight on mineshaft, sold their IP and moved it to a bugged spot so they couldn't move.

"Mr.Fox Steam Id = 126606129 : STEAM_0:1:63303064 "

I think I got that right, he was streaming Trolling NS 2 http://i.imgur.com/TSHPqXn.png

Also from his stream he is hacking and can see marines/aliens through walls.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Mr_Maxis12/ is what someone said was his steam profile, they suggested all his friends for the most part are his own accounts or friends that help him troll. one of his friends has Screen shots on their profile of their trolling.

Naga said he banned the guy for 24, but i'd say short of sending some guys over to break his legs, he more than earned a sport on the life time don't come back list.

Also not 100% that that is his correct steam Id I kept messing up.
MeowMix

Next

Return to Geriatric Ward NS2 Server