What's your control config?

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

What's your control config?

Postby Execution Style » Sun Mar 30, 2003 1:41 pm

This is something I'm sorta curious about, mostly because I have a non-standard, no-one-ever-heard-of-it, weird-ass (to most) config, and yet I think the default is so ass backward that anyone is weird for using it :shock:

So yeah, ever since the days that games allowed me to just pick any key for any control, I've gone nuts finding the perfect layout and since the days of descent I've used a variation of the following which is my config for NS, CS, DoD, Heretic 2, Quakes, etc:

LMouse move back
MMouse move forward
RMouse weapon option (scopes/silencers in CS, menus in NS)
(ps note I need a 3 button mouse so mine better hold out for its full 1 million clicks per button :? )

a strafe left
e strafe right
r walk
g fire
space jump/swim

this is where most people go :shock: and scratch their heads, but if you try putting your fingers on AERG and your thumb on space, you realize it's perfectly comfortable and each finger is resting in a natural position.

f crouch
h reload
q drop gun
b flashlight
t use
yu say/team
1234 guns

all these are one key away from a primary control, so I never look at the keyboard (of course) and I can quickly press any necessary key without losing my home position.

That's it for NS I guess. Now I'm curious to see what everyone else uses. I bet 90% use WASD which I never understood (well I know some quake expert uses it and started it), so this'll probably turn into a statistical survey, but that's cool.

Oh and a PS, all people that I introduced CS to use this key config (that's not exactly a lot of people, but still :) ) and I've taught people who were computer illiterate, never mind FPS savvy, to murder bots with ease in CS using my config. There's just something organic and natural about it :) hehehehe ok. Now I'm asking for the flames heh.
Execution Style
Fogey
Fogey

Postby North Wolf » Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:13 pm

I used a joystick for Descent, with so many controls to deal with I can see why you opted for an unusual setup (I had everything on the joystick mapped out, top switch, extra buttons, and was still using the keyboard as well).

I started with Q-A (up and down), O-P (left and right) and space to fire back in the nostalgic past on my Sinclair Spectrum and I had an onion tied to my belt wich was the custom at the time....

Im still using the arrow keys for NS, DoD and every other shooter I have. Everyone and their dog seems to be switching to awsd but I just cant do it (stuck in my ways). I like playing in the dark (makes it hard to find things) so I have grown used to my current layout by instict.

For NS I use the following

Mouse:
Left click - Fire
Right click - Jump (since I dont have to worry about secondary fire)
Middle Mouse button - Use
Side mouse buttons(2) - Action Menu and talk.
Wheel - Switch weapons + the bind I learned on forum to activate when switching, NS seems to swap without activating, so the bind auto attacks once.

Keyboard:
Arrow keys - strafe and back and forth
six keys above - reload (del wich I reach fast), flashlight, drop weapon,
Ctrl - Crouch
Numpad 0 - Jump again
Numpad 1 - Not used, but I usally have something there. Score might be smart since I still have it on tab.

===============================================

Above config is actually good, if you are used to mouse forward-back. Natural layout on the A-E thing (I went HUH? when I first looked at the keyboard).

The most unusual config I ever had was a Joystick! It was called Thrustmaster Action XL, cheap thing at the time.

The thing with it was that it was hyper sensitive, and very smooth (unlike most joysticks), had almost no tendency to go to center. This was the best first person controller I have ever had (also using a joystick feelt more immersive somehow). Top Switch was usefull for games with alot of options (like the old Jedi game), and I could snipe on the run with that sucker, as well as swap out all the powers and use them on the fly. I used the arrow keys with my off hand (strafe and forward-backward), then the joystick for looking around and turning (like a mouse). With Quake it was very easy to win circle strafe attack, how far I moved the joystick controlled the speed and let me aim with precision throughout it.

I convinced a freind of mine to try it until he got used to it (it was hyper sensitive so it took a while), he was better then with the mouse (and he was already a good player), this was using Quake. One day it broke and I have never found one like it since :cry:

I tried other joysticks after this, but they feelt clunky when playing an FPS, I guess no one is making hyper sensitive and smooth joysticks, since they are hard to get used to, worse no one will belive that its better to play with it then the mouse. :D

-Cheers,
NW
North Wolf
Fogey
Fogey

Postby rooster » Sun Mar 30, 2003 2:38 pm

My config is pretty basic by current standards except for 1 thing which I find to be quite obvious and am not sure why it isn't standard. Most games are by default wasd, but I use esdf (e - foreward, s & f - strafe, d - backward) because it frees up 2 more keys on the left side of your left hand. Its the same pattern and everything but you can reach more keys without stretching.
Artur

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye - then it's just fun you can't see." - James Hetfield
rooster
Fogey
Fogey

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:00 pm

Keypad is for me !

8=foward
4/5= turn left/right
1/2= step left/right
2= backwards
0=crouch
.=reload
5= use
/= flashlight
*= voice comms

mouse1= attack
mouse2= jump
mouse3/4 = hud menu
scroll up= weapon change

these keys/mouse buttons are choosen as the secondary button in the config menu.

I've been using these binds since Quake 1 days, and I don't think I'm going to change now, I'm TOO OLD :lol:

Dirty Dealer

Still the Oldest Fogie !
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby The Nighthawk » Sun Mar 30, 2003 11:14 pm

This has been my first online shooter, so I stayed with the default in order to learn the controls, then I got comfortable with them. It seems to work well enough for me, :D
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

My Keys...

Postby mowph » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:37 am

My movement and shooting keys are mundane, but here's a few extras I have. I tried to make the overlaps between different roles make some sort of coherent sense.

z: drop weapon / evolve carapace
x: evolve adrenaline
c: evolve SCENT OF FEAR (cloaking is for wimps)

b: make RT (gorge)
v: make MC
n: request (spam as comm) ammo / make OC
m: request meds (spam as comm) / make DC

k: say "Follow me", blink (if marine) or growl
l: request welding or healing spray
o: request welder / chuckle
p: request mines / "let's attack!" snarl

, . / : switch between commsets of MARINE, COMM, and GORGE

Thinking of binding the numpad to some generic alerts as I can't seem to find a headset in this country...
Tim
[OldF]_mowph
mowph
Nipponophile
Nipponophile

Postby Niteowl » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:16 am

lordy lordy, i game with a bunch a config FREAKS!!!! whatsa matta???? wasd not GOOD enough for you?? SHEESH!!! jk ;) :D

interesting configs.

the only non-standard config i use is for cmdr, with the keypad to cmdr layout binds by Rabid Llama. but i've said this before :)

very very very bizaarre, but interesting keylayouts guys.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby SputGop » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:28 pm

I use the Numpad like Dirty Dealer.

8, 2 - Forward, Back
7, 9 - Strafe left, right
0 - Use
+ - Reload
Enter - Secondary Fire
/, *, 5, Period - Weapon slot 1,2,3,4

Mouse:
Left button : Fire
Right : Jump

I've been using this since Quake 2, and although I've tried switching to WASD and using my right hand for my mouse, it's just not as comfortable as Numpad and left handed mouse. But for some reason right handed mousing is easier for windows.
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby North Wolf » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:27 am

"I've been using this since Quake 2, and although I've tried switching to WASD and using my right hand for my mouse, it's just not as comfortable as Numpad and left handed mouse. But for some reason right handed mousing is easier for windows."

Are you right or left handed? Or ambidexterious? Using the left hand on the mouse sounds like it would be increadably difficult if you are right handed...

The control scheme to end all control schemes would have to be that monkey they hotwired to a computer. Basicly they read the brain patterns as he moved a joystick right-left and up and down (using orange juce for motivation). Then hotwired him to it to test it out (it worked somewhat). This was on rauters a while ago, the computer matched the pattern to the expected movement of the mouse icon so he was basicly moving it with his mind. Idea is to use this concept for artifical limb movement.

While the experiment is sensless and disgusting (if they could read the paterns without surgery, they didnt need the direct link to prove the concept), it does make you wonder what hard core gamers will look like 20 years from now.

Cheers,
NW
North Wolf
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Jabberwock » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:45 am

Holy freaks. FREAKS!

When someone tells me they use ESDF instead of WASD, I shrug and say "to each their own". But you guys are insane!

My NS bind is surprisingly close to the original bind, actually... I'm not even sure what's different. It's my all-purpose bind, really.

The one big issue I have is that to switch weapons, use number keys! It's much faster and more reliable than mousewheel, and doing a hud_fastswitch 1 at the console sure helps (hey NorthWolf, that means you, with your bind to swap&attack).

My Tribes config, now that was a thing of beauty. For a game of beauty. *sniffle*

Actually, I was just feeling nostalgic for my favorite Tribes server a few days ago, then realized I now have an even better hangout now (even if I've stopped hanging out there more than occasionally), which freaks me out! Hey, have I mentioned lately that you guys rock? Because you rock!
Jabberwock
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Tue Apr 01, 2003 8:45 am

*tearing up*

*sentimentally hoots*

*blows beak*
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby SputGop » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:57 am

North Wolf wrote:Are you right or left handed? Or ambidexterious? Using the left hand on the mouse sounds like it would be increadably difficult if you are right handed...

I'm right handed with everything except the mouse. For some reason, I find it more comfortable to use my right hand when I'm just using windows. But it's almost impossible to use my right hand for the mouse in games.
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby rooster » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:44 am

So today I was talking to some guys I know from my days back in Quake 2 and their experiences at the 2002 CPL CS tourney and I went ahead and downloaded a few videos of the action. What I noticed to be rather ubiquitous throughout the style of the players was that the best players used very low mouse sensitivities. Now I'm personally, and always have been, a supporter of high sensitivites so that you don't have to pick your mouse up and can do a 180 very quickly. But guys from clan 3D and people like fatal1ty, the winner of the UT2k3 tourney, use extremely low sensitivites. I can be rather accurate, as window can probobly confirm from that pillbox game a couple days ago :D , with a sensitivity of 40, but on the other hand I'm no fatal1ty. So what do you guys use?
Artur

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye - then it's just fun you can't see." - James Hetfield
rooster
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:58 am

now THAT is very interesting!

hmm, that makes much more sense when i think about it. unless you are using rockets or some other such weapon with splash damage, and just trying to hit AROUND the person, i can see how lower senstivities can help.

hmmm. cuz at VERY high sensitivies, it's IMPOSSIBLE to move in small increments.

food for thought.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby Furious Gorge » Sat Apr 19, 2003 12:29 pm

I think that's the thing though... the low senstivities allow them to place their weapons, whether it be an actual straight-line projectile, or a non-linear projectile (like the bile bomb) where they want to, even when flying around.

I've watched a demo where I think fatality was shooting a straight-line weapon, forcing his opponent to move a certain way, then switched to something more powerful, like something like a grenade or something, leading his shot to where the opponent was heading (nearly a 90 degree turn)... and lo and behold, his opponent did end up going to that exact spot and getting crushed by that final blow grenade. It was such a perfectly placed shot that I don't think could have been targetted properly with higher sensitivity.

I sort of do the same thing as fade. I never try and aim my acid rocket at a marine. I'll always place the acid rocket on the floor of where he's jumping to next. It usually works pretty well. :)
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Next

Return to General