What's your control config?

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Postby zzSleeper » Sun Apr 20, 2003 9:20 pm

i am, and always have been an advocate for low mouse sensitivities
it makes it much easier to aim and track consistently, although it does require more physical space if you're not using a trackball (matt)

as for non-standard key configs, PS2 keyboards kind of suck wrt the number of simultaneous key-presses it can handle. because they can usually support at most 3 different keydowns at the same time, having at least one axis of your movement (forward/backward,left/right,forward/right,back/left,forward/left,back/right) on your mouse can give you a significant advantange by being able to perform more complex actions (more movements simultaneously)

As a former descent player myself i found this especially an issue when controlling w/ keyboard only (my preferred method at the time). I used a wasd with 8456 for pitch and rf for elevation an 79 for spin (auto-alignment is soo sucky). However serious competetive play needs to take into account hardware limitations.

I am told that USB keyboards (and other devices) solve this problem, however i have yet to test it out myself. I still use a wasd configuration (due to an axial mental persepective), however i've rebound mouse3 to +popupmenu and mouse2 to +jump. I find jump on the mouse to be very useful, especially with jetpacks (ah, good old tribes)
/zzSleeper
/Jonathan
zzSleeper
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot

Postby bonHomme » Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:27 pm

Waitaminute! You can change the key configs in this game? GAWD DAMNIT!

Hey mowph, what's yer script for switching between configs?
bonHomme
Good Times Blathering
Good Times Blathering

Postby Furious Gorge » Sat Apr 26, 2003 5:04 pm

Hahahah... I just figured something out recently. When you play Commander, your binds change a little.

I've been shouting like mad over voice comm with my usual bind (mouse4) for regular in-game play, but that button doesn't work when I play Comm. No wonder no one listens to me while I comm!!! OMG, I just thought I've been playing with dumb people, when in fact, it was me who was dumb!! :shock:

If someone can tell me how to use voice comm as a Comm, I would very much appreciate it. Hehe... :D
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Furious Gorge » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:59 pm

So can anyone tell me what the button is to voice comm when you're a commander? Or do you have to bind it yourself in the conole in-game?
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby SputGop » Tue Apr 29, 2003 4:52 am

I have left arrow bound to voice comm, and it works fine in commander mode...

Maybe bind it to something that isn't on the mouse, because I think it commander mode takes over the mouse.
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby Jabberwock » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:17 pm

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to bind it to something not on the mouse. Similarly, if you move your +jump from space, commander mode doesn't work too well. I hear.
Jabberwock
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Furious Gorge » Fri May 02, 2003 12:42 am

Ahhh... okay! Thanks for the tips! =) Hopefully, if I ever Comm again, you will be able to hear my sexy (okay, I can hear you guys coughing...haha) voice! :P
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

re mouse sensitivity

Postby Execution Style » Sun May 04, 2003 7:30 pm

I know what you guys mean about lower mouse sensitivity, but I can't stand anything lower than about 6. I use the highest sensitivity possible while still being able to move my sights over 1 pixel at a time (basically).

I think I'm a high-sensitivity user, but I'm not sure since it's all relative and depends on your mouse (or other) hardware. I definitely find I do my best aiming in furious, chaotic situations where it's all reflex and chess-like moves and counter-moves to guess at the enemie's position.

Oooh.. I'm drooling to play NS now, but OM is empty :(
Execution Style
Fogey
Fogey

Previous

Return to General