What does your nick mean?

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

What does your nick mean?

Postby Niteowl » Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:38 am

well, mine is from this great comic mini-series called The Watchmen. Niteowl , actually, technically, NiteOwl II , is a pudgy, retired superhero who is kinda socially awkward and introverted, wears glasses, but is in general a nice guy :)
Last edited by Niteowl on Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby SandTyger » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:13 pm

Sword-Dancer, Sword-Singer, Sword-Maker, Sword-Breaker
Jennifer Roberson

My nick is a misspelling of a character from those books, SandTiger.
-Brendan
aka [OldF]SandTyger
Husband, musician, and GM of a Alliance WoW Guild on Khaz Modan (We NEED healers!)
SandTyger
Over the Hill

Postby dklein » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:19 pm

A name made up for Day of Defeat, while playing much Axis. I'm halfways German, so it fits that way, too.

I figure that some day, I'll come up with something worth repeating, as it causes game-winning consequences, and when that happens, it'll already have a name -- The Heinrich Manouever.
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby rooster » Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:51 pm

Well I was trying to figure out a nick to use to sign up for a local lan party and as I looked at all the nicks they were all some type of intimidating or 'dark' thing such as DeathKight or HellAngel or The Killer. Now I was thinking if I get killed by DeathNight then thats fair, its a scary name so I can take it. But I pondered, how pissed would someone get if he was killed by a rooster, a half-witted flightless bird who is often reffered to as a cock :)
rooster
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:09 pm

LMFAO

<shameless plug>
i put another post to my gorge guide in the strategy guide. put alot of thought into it... hehhe.... comments?

http://nsoldfogies.dyndns.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8

</shameless plug>
Niteowl

Postby The Nighthawk » Fri Feb 07, 2003 4:46 pm

It seems I need to respond to several things now.

1. The Heinrich Manouever - Classic!

2. rooster aka cock - Hilarious! :wink:

3. Niteowl - your second post on Gorging... damn, what are you taking, cuz I want some! :P

4. My name... it deserves to go in the Fiction section, so I'll post it there tonight... since someone finally asked :D
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

nickname

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:43 pm

Many years ago, there was an M&M commercial on tv. A few guys in old western cloths playing cards. One of them says "These cards are marked, thier a mess" another says "Ya, a choccolate mess" and they pull guns. Someguy walks in and says "Easy boys, the DIRTY DEALER ment no harm"....

That's where I got the nickname from. I just like the sound of it.

Dirty Dealer
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Dr. Death

Postby oldf_dr_death » Sat Feb 08, 2003 12:10 am

When I started playing online games, only a few years ago, I was playing at work and kept getting killed (massively killed). I thought it was from getting old (I believe I am still the 2nd oldest fogie), but things changed after my company had a cs match against another company. They only let me in the game because 3 of the other guys couldn't make it. I was using someone elses p.c. (which was a lot faster than mine) and ended up having the best score. I figured the speed would have improved me a little but not that much. I did a little diagnosis (hence the Dr.) and discovered there was a bug in my computer that caused the guns to fire outside the sights. I ended up re-installing half-life and CS after which everything worked fine. With all the killing I'd now be doing, I thought I'd add the Death part. :evil:
oldf_dr_death
Elder
Elder

Postby The Nighthawk » Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:46 am

The story of my origin is finished in the Tales forum. Help yourselves to some popcorn, and settle down for a good long read. This story will take the place of the previously scheduled Chapter One in my NS novel. Expect that on Monday.
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Jabberwock » Tue Feb 11, 2003 11:15 pm

I played Tribes with an insane degree of dedication, from just after its release (say starting mid-January '99), for about 3 of the following 4 years. I guess in the summer of '99, I was playing about 70 hours a week of Tribes. So, the last loser clan that I joined (all clans after that were non-loser) had a theme; you had to have a monster name. The clan was called Monster Island. There was a Frogzilla, a King Ghidora, a Mothra, etc. I'm not much on godzilla stuff, but I like Lewis Carroll quite a bit, thus this name. And when I left that totally pathetic team, I kept the name. Yar.
Jabberwock
Fogey
Fogey

"execution style"

Postby Execution Style » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:41 am

Back in the CS days I experimented with a few rather lame nicks. As I got better at the game and started aiming for the top 10 of my favourite server, I spent a little time thinking about a respectable, fairly original nickname.

I came up with Execution Style because it represented the way I played. I would generally start slowly, sucking pretty bad, but then hit my stride and start wiping out entire opposing teams, usually in horrible vicious and short-lived battles, and generally with the enemy not having known where I was or how I wiped them out. I had a pretty evil persona in cs and I would usually trash-talk a lot, so after dominating a group of people I would say something nasty, often it was "EXECUTION STYLE, BITCHES!!!"

lol.. well, yeah, that's how I picked it. And I've used it since in online play because I rather like it.
Execution Style
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Niteowl » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:37 pm

i'm continuing this LONG dead thread mainly to amuse myself, hopefully to amuse others.

i'm gonna spout out random silly facts about ppl's names, that i can think of.
oh, this is not using the POWER OF THE INTERNET, but off the top of my head, so the facts are probably highly suspect. correct, ridicule me at will.
:)

Heinrich Manouver:
-you can do this manouver to YOURSELF by flinging your body over the back of a chair violently
-it can be done while the person is lying down by straddling the chokee and pushing up, both palms on an area just slightly above the belly-button
-i can only think of that scene in "The Fifth Element" where gary oldman almost dies from a cherry pit :D
-for some reason, the international sign for choking is to choke, and point at your throat (is there some sort of international "teach ppl international signs" agency that adminsters these classes?)

SandTyger:
-oo, toughie.
-tigers LOVE the water (or is it hate..)
-much of the sahara USED to be rich jungle, but deforestation occured at some point, and now it's desert, the sahara is actually GROWING
-thought i could make a reference to Rommel, the "Desert Fox", but i guess not, (oh wait, i just did :D ;) )
-if you shaved a tiger bare (and were still alive to tell the tale) under his skin it'd be STRIPED

Rooster:
-it's a chinese zodiac symbol
-can only think of the stunt the rooster (mel gibson) pulls on the rats in "Chicken Run"
-in cock fighting, the roosters are actually outfited with razors and various weapons attacked to their claws
-the term poppycock has no root in roosters or cocks, but comes from the South African term poppecoek [sic] meaning, bullshit.
-poppies are used as a basis for heroin and opium
-the latter was developed as a subsititute for the former
-ppl in the 1800's gave opium to BABIES to help them with cholic

DirtyDealer:
-recently un-classified documents show that the CIA did, indeed, use cocaine sales to fund their operations
-(learned today) the ace of spades is often quite ornate in your avg pack of playing cards because it was orignally a DUTY stamp put on that card. it indicated that the duty for the entire deck was paid for. it usually was put on the wrapper of the deck, but when the wrapper was thrown away, you also threw away proof of duty paid. the ace of spades was chosen because it's the first on the deck.
-cocainewars is the most addictive game, well one of the most, ever.

Dr. Death:
-another name for Dr. Kevorkian, who's euthanasia device adminsters carbon monoxide
-doctors dance with death day to day. an interesting factoid about that. the 1/3 rule. stastically, 1/3 of the time the ilness gets better, 1/3 it gets worse, 1/3 it stays the same.. REGARDLESS of treatment.
-surgeons in days of yore (medieval? not sure) were also BARBERS, as they were the ones with the sharp, pointy things. the red in the barber pole that one sees (less often) outside barbershops represents BLOOD.
-after you die, your hair and nose keep growing
-btw, i hear the company that Dr. Death works for WASTED the company they played against. the catch.. Dr. Death's company is a ecommerce company, their opponent was a GAMING company! niiice!

Jabberwock:
-Alice by American Mcgee was very visually nice
-there are theories (not sure how valid/accepted it is) that Carrol wrote "Through the Looking Glass" on LSD, thus all the bizaare images
-not sure about the wock part, but the JABBER suits you just fine :D :D :)
-jabber is also an XML based, java coded, IM client

Execution Style:
-one of the common ways the gestapo took care of ppl, execution style, was to have the victim in a U shape (start with the vicim face down on the floor, pull his head and legs up). they then tied his hands behind his back ,a noose around his neck, and the rope (or piano wire, or whatever) was connected from the noose to his legs, as he tired, he would choke himself.
-the guillotine was developed as a HUMANE way of excecuting ppl.
-IIRC, the creator of the guillotine, was killed by one.
-most public executions were public affairs, ppl brought thier children, etc to watch
-when hanging someone, the knot to the back results in a prolonged choking death, the knot to side results in a swifter, more humane NECK SNAPPING execution.
-in a firing squad, usually only one or a few ppl ACTUALLY have a LIVE round. the rest fire blanks. this is to ensure no one member of the firing squad can be 'guilty'

that's all i can verbally spew at the moment. i made comments on NightHawks name in the BackPorch, go there if you are so self-sadistically-inclined :)
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:59 pm

>DirtyDealer:
>-recently un-classified documents show that the CIA did, indeed, use >cocaine sales to fund their operations
>-(learned today) the ace of spades is often quite ornate in your avg >pack of playing cards because it was orignally a DUTY stamp put on >that card. it indicated that the duty for the entire deck was paid for. it >usually was put on the wrapper of the deck, but when the wrapper was >thrown away, you also threw away proof of duty paid. the ace of >spades was chosen because it's the first on the deck.
>-cocainewars is the most addictive game, well one of the most, ever.

Oh ?
I seem to remember a cigar called "NightOwl" :lol:

Dirty Dealer
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot

Postby Niteowl » Wed Mar 12, 2003 10:02 pm

hehe :) is that a reference to "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?"

:D
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl

Postby [OldF] DIRTY DEALER » Thu Mar 13, 2003 8:55 pm

>hehe is that a reference to "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar?"

Hry, I'm old, I don't remember..... :lol:

Dirty Dealer
DIRTY DEALER
[OldF] DIRTY DEALER
Skulkbot
Skulkbot