WinXP

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

WinXP

Postby Furious Gorge » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:06 pm

I just "upgraded" (if you can call it that, seeing as I'm having problems) to WinXP, and I'm having trouble with the mouse acceleration.

I'm sooo used to Windows 2000 and its low mouse acceleraion setting. But in WinXP, they have a so called equivalent setting called, "Enhanced Pointing Precision". Anyhow, needless to say, they are not exactly the same thing. The acceleration curves are different. It sort of feels like lag or non-accurate aiming.

So, I guess I'm wondering if anyone has noticed this when they made the jump from Win98/2k to WinXP? And if so, did you do anything to fix it? Or did you just get used to it?

Btw, in case anyone of you are thinking so, I'm not imagining this. Do a search on the web for words like "mouse acceleration lag Win XP" and you'll find countless number of posts. The general consensus is that the only thing you can do is either turn off mouse acceleration completely or just deal with it.

I just want to simply try and get back to the acceleration curve that I'm so used to. I know it involves registry keys such as MouseSpeed, MouseThreshold1, and MouseThreshhold2... I've been messing around with combinations the last day (complete trial and error), and though I've found something that's workable, I haven't yet found the same exact "feel". :(
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby SputGop » Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:10 pm

Well, I didn't notice much of a difference switching from Windows 98, but I just set the settings to what seemed good. Also, I don't know if I have a different version or something, but my mouse properties include an Acceleration value. Maybe you need updated drivers?
SputGop
Map Master, Our Mentor

Postby Pykl » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:08 pm

they were pretty much identical for me. Win 98 to winxp. XP offers more tweaking of mouse settings. I think it was TweakXP i used once for this. But the default mouse control panel should do it.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby McRiot » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:13 pm

Make it STOP!!!! XP DIE!! /me beats XP with a big stick "DIE XP DIE!!"

Win2k Pro is the Only way to go! :P
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby zzSleeper » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:39 pm

yeah win xp suxx0rs, definately go with 2k (productivity) or 98 (gaming)
/zzSleeper
/Jonathan
zzSleeper
Utility Belt Wearing Battlemech Pilot

Postby Pykl » Wed Apr 16, 2003 7:26 pm

those are both unsupported OS's now. Win 2k ain't much better for gaming that xp. XP is the only windows OS to date that approached the stability and ease of use of the mac os. It's about the first good thing gates has done.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby McRiot » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:31 pm

oooooooooooooo "sirens go off everywhere" win2k ownz for stability and gaming in comparson to XP, and that's not just me saying that, I know many ppl with XP and and most of their problems with their computer is because of it. Everyone I've ever put win2k pro on has never had a problem. I myself have never in three years had a major freeze or crash due to win2k.. Anyway that's my $1.00
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby The Nighthawk » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:48 pm

Hehe, the good 'ol OS debate :roll: .

I've found that if it works, don't fix it. If it's broken, try a different one. I've seen good and bad from pretty much every version of Windows, and truthfully, it seems to change system by system.

I personally ran 98 on my old system, and XP on my new one. No problems with either. My friend got a new system, and ran 98, and it was horrible. He upgraded to 2k, and everything ran great. Go figure...

Anyway the man's problem is with his mouse, not the OS in general. Unfortunately I've had no problems with mine, but I went in for all new hardware when I went to XP, so I had no reference for the mouse. Sorry... :(
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Niteowl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:27 am

OK OK OK all you tech dudes!!! sloow RIGHT the HELL down!!!!

first off.. mouse.. uhh.. i use mykeyboard for all my playing. i don't move my hands off home row. what is this 'mouse' you speak of? is that some sort of that new fangled 'joystick' i hear kids talking about these days?

and SECOND.. what is this... win 2k , win xp etc? i have Windows 3.11 and it suits me JUST fine!! i get my tiling, my file manager! what else do you need!!!

*grumbles*
new fangled gadgets and things
*grumbles*

:) :D
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby Pykl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:03 pm

/me passes niteowl some prune juice.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby zzSleeper » Fri Apr 18, 2003 9:22 pm

oooh yeah, here we go
well for starters windows XP has *HUGE* overhead, performance off a clean install will be significantly less than a clean install of either 98 or 2k. It is also significantly bloated compared to other options.

Also, by using XP, you're allowing microsoft to access stuff on your computer (there is no opt out) - say for example random piracy checks or gathering personal information. (also for privacy reasons you should only use SP2 with 2k, and not SP3)

2k is very stable, but has driver conflicts and dos game incompatability which makes it unsuitable for playing older games or as a hardcore gaming platform. It has some overhead (both cycles and space) but not enough to be significant for the tradeoffs. 98 is damn fast (on a clean install, low overhead) and predictable (predictably unstable) which makes it the best choice as a strict gaming OS. Like 2k, it slows down as more things are installed and will need a fresh install every 4 months or so to keep at peak performance.

The only argument i've heard for xp is that it boots quickly. But quick booting isn't an issue. As a gamer, application efficiency is the most important thing, whether or you've got a 400mhz or 2.4ghz machine every cycle matters. XP has more unnecessary overhead (in terms of hd consumption, memory, and CPU cycles) than the alternatives.

On top of all that, XP is also less secure. 2k is the tops for security currently.

And for all those customization options that aren't readily available, download TweakUI from http://www.annoyances.org
/zzSleeper
/Jonathan
zzSleeper

the bigger picture

Postby [OldF]Komodo » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:31 am

w.r.t. the whole "which OS is better for gaming" debate:

* yes, 98 is old, tried, tested and true, and runs pretty fast on today's hardware. because of this only, it's the best choice for gaming.
* yes, XP comes with its share of bloatware but being new is not as hw compatible as 98. still, it's a great OS, and vast improvement over 98. it's just unfortunate about the driver incompatibility issues.
* yes, 2kPro is quite stable (using it on this pc), though I personally don't prefer it for games.

the OS itself doesn't matter as much as its driver support.. win98, winxp, win2k each have adequate hardware management. modern games try to interact with cpu & gpu hardware in a more direct way, so the question as to the version of the OS becomes somewhat moot..

if you'd like to see benchmarking stats that factor videocard+OS, checkout http://www6.tomshardware.com/consumer/20020930/
[OldF]Komodo
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Furious Gorge » Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:28 pm

Ahhh... thanks for all the words of advice. This wasn't really supposed to be a "Which OS is better?" thread. Lol. :)

Anyway, here's my findings. Apparently, WindowsXP applies mouse acceleration in-game, making it difficult to get consistent accurate targetting, as the aiming is dependent on the speed of your hand movements. What might take half your mouse pad to turn 180 degrees one time, may in a fight take a quarter or even an eighth next time round. It's always varying and non-linear, even when you apply command line commands like noforcemspeed, noforcemaccel, and nofocemparm, which is supposed to remove mouse acceleration in-game, but doesn't.

Win98 and Win2k both do not apply mouse acceleration in game, even if you have it applied to your desktop. The movement is completely linear. You can always expect a 180 degree turn to be half a mouse pad everytime, for example.

I'm sure one can get used to the mouse acceleration in WinXP eventually. But I've been playing Half-Life and associated mods like TFC, CS, and now NS for the last 4 years. So I think it would be extremely difficult for me to adjust since a non-mouse acceleration game is so ingrained within my very being. :P Like I said, I noticed it very early, like in the first few minutes of my supposed "upgrade", when I started playing NS.

Back to W2k for me! But, I think I would have stuck with XP had the mouse acceleration not been as big an issue for me. It seemed pretty stable for games and just seemed to run smoother (at least a little more so than W2k), but of course, I tweaked the WinXP and reduced unnecessary services. By the way, apparently, WinXP (as well as W2k with SP3) allows compatiblity modes so you can run programs as if you were in Win98 or something like that.
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Return to General