Forum reorganisation

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Forum reorganisation

Postby dklein » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:03 am

Well, it's starting... slowly :)

I'm deploying the layout changes, as I'm interested in seeing how those work out, in terms of usability.

I seem to have omitted the wordmark, tho. Sigh. I got a bit better look at the way some of the NS ones are done, and it looks like a pencil/charcoal/eraser effect, so I'm going to load in my wacom graphire drivers again and do some photoshopping. Besides, I need to do a re-coloured version for the grey background.

More colours and thematic elements are coming up this weekend.... this 4-day weekend.... w00t!
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby Niteowl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:20 am

heya hein!

thanks for all the great work.

since i sometimes read this forum at work, i'd like to be able to shut off the css.. hmm.. is there also a way to turn off all colours/styles per user preference?

heck i'll look into it.
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby dklein » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:31 am

That's a good question. I'm sure it could be hacked into phpBB, but I wonder if it can be dynamically done at runtime. Hmm. Mind you, the page is pretty craptastic without the stylesheet on (I've beens starting at it quite a bit that way :)

What I did think would be neat would be an RSS feed for it, so that as new items are posted, it would show up in a news ticker :)
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby dklein » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:33 am

Aha! There _is_ an option in the profile such that different themes can be selected! Right now, we only have 'subSilver' (or, rather, my butchered version of it). But -- I could easily rename my theme into something suitable, re-install a clean subSilver theme, and then develop one that is text-only.

Are you looking for something lynx-friendly? Or something like McRiot's low-tech ASCII BBS-style thing?
dklein
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!
That's ONE RICH HEINY!!

Postby Pykl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:01 pm

nice stats and stuff. My old BF42 group just got a nice ybb whatever forum going and linked it to the main page so the most recent topics display there. I can get you in touch with the girl that did it if you like.

http://www.gunmen.us

PS the marked read forums deal isnt' working for me. Also after a post it doesn't auto shoot me back to the forum I have to click thru. You prolly know these things already but in case you needed some beta input.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Postby Memphis » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:22 pm

The new looks is pretty kinky, its makes the forum unique incomparison to others. Hey the guy that steal my pictures I replied under... Orin's new servers about ur ono's thong thing.
Sincerely

Memphis admin/founder of Orin
Memphis
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Return to General