Welcome Back, what have you been up to thread

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Re: Welcome Back, what have you been up to thread

Postby rapture » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:47 pm

I know how you feel, I just picked up an Nvidia GTX 670 and its amazing running NS2 on highest with 99 fps.
rapture
Champion of Bengay

Postby Funka! » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:33 am

Hi there everyone! Is Page 7 a great place to post my updates?? Here goes!

There once was a badger from Nantucket. His body was so fine you could ______ ___. (Don't be a dirty perv when you fill those in. (Does it really have to rhyme?))

Seriously though, I think some of you may have noticed I might have stopped posting around here maybe six years ago, but coincidentally that is also around the same time I disappeared from around these here forums, which was maybe six or 6 years ago if I recall correctly-ish?

OK also, I did take some time off from life, my job, and also from life maybe six years ago to finish up some loose units and officialize that ol' college degree that'd been hanging over me for a while; so yeah now I have that hanging on my wall (and collecting a lot of dust on its little frame from the last 6 years of not dusting, although the diploma isn't really in a frame, nor it actually hanging pretentiously on a wall anywhere. But if it had been, there would CERTAINLY be lots of dust on it by now??) and also my family has grown six years bigger and healthier and older.... in whatever order and distribution makes most sense; but really: everyone healthy and happy and beautiful and makes me happy every day! So yes, Funka Good!

As far as gaming, I sort of stopped upgrading the old Windows XP machine probably around six years ago (hmmm, a familiar but busy time) and switched to a nice giant modern Mac for home computer use; never really used it for gaming but coincidentally also got a PlayStation3 around that same time which really side-lifted my gaming needs into that other fun console environment... Never thought I'd be a "console" guy, but yet it's such a brainless, commitment-free platform that perhaps it shouldn't be a suprise. Anyhoo, I installed maybe 12 months ago Steam platform for Mac, and although I do have a few simple 1-player games that work natively on it such as Portal, and .... Portal2? (OK, I played Portal2 on my aforementioned lovely PS3, but they also gave me key for downloading to Steam, should I so desire!!), actually I think I guess the coolest thing about Steam so far, has been keeping in touch with old peeps from earlier. Oh, and recent conversations (Florpeh, cough cough!) might have me reconsidering getting a good ol' gaming PC again... NS2 anybody???

Shit, I should probably proof-read this giant mess of shit I just typed. I usually am the proof-reading KING before posting anything public, ... but this one time I may let it slip, and just post away and say a big HALLO! to everyone, and hope you are all doing well! And also I think I'm out of shit to say. PROPS!!!

-f
Funka!
OldF Rockstar
OldF Rockstar

Postby Faust » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:41 am

Welcome back funkadelic badger man!

A mac-loving friend of mine uses bootcamp to play NS2 on Windows. It seem to work out for him. You should give that configuration a try, if possible :)
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby rapture » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:43 am

Welcome back Killah! I just priced out a new gaming rig for a buddy and looks like ballpark of $1000 on newegg for a good solid system. Graphics-wise, one would be very happy with a GTX 660Ti or above (the higher the 6x0) the better. Nice part about the motherboard is that it supports adding a second video card for SLI :) IMO the 10k RPM drive performance is still pretty awesome, I RAID-0 two of them together for my programs/games while using my SSD for just Windows.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySa ... D=16683974
rapture
Champion of Bengay

Previous

Return to General