Welcome Back, what have you been up to thread

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Welcome Back, what have you been up to thread

Postby mooseman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:54 pm

This is the Official Welcome Back, What Have You Been Up To thread.

Old.net rides out of the "home" on a new silver three-wheeler.

Now hosted on a real web server in a regular network operations center....only two or three years after I said I would do it.

Please tell us about your life, jobs, games, hardware upgrades, hip replacements, and all about the grandkids and how the food is at your nursing home.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Re: Welcome Back, what have you been up to thread

Postby Mr_Chicken » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

OMG, the forum is so *fast* now!

Anyway, I've just been playing a lot of MW3 lately. That and working at a job, of course. Happy to see that some of these old guys are still kickin'.
Mr_Chicken
Mr_Chicken
Fogey
Fogey

Postby M373ora Fr34k » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Sweet!

When NS1 was still alive, I was in college. I'm now in Colorado working for teh Intel doing design validation for the Xeon product line.

Currently playing Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer, D3, Warhammer40k Dawn of War 2, and Orks Must Die! 2.

Looking forward to hearing what everyone else has been up to :) And of course getting raped by skulks once again :cry:
I fear the Onos.

Find me on oldf servers as

"M373ora Fr34k" or "Dances With Skulks" or "Dies With Honor X_X"
M373ora Fr34k
Fogey
Fogey

Postby mooseman » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:55 pm

I am still living in northwestern Montana, consulting as a webmaster.

I've been playing Eve online lately with Pr0ph's corp. It's an incredibly complex and interesting game.

And in the intervening years I've played a bunch of Quake Wars, Lotro, L4D2, and Rift, with side trips into Monday Night Combat, and BadCompany2. I've been playing the NS2 beta on a semi-regular basis, although I've missed the last bunch of updates so now everything is unfamiliar.

My hip hasn't been replaced yet, and I'm doin the cooking round here so it's pretty darn good.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Dreya » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Look at all the old faces coming back together!

I must admit that I'm likely still the youngest part of the community. Just graduated from UC Santa Barbara in June and I've moved out to Pittsburgh in August to pick up a graduate degree. Naturally I'll be needing to fill all the copious amounts of free time that I have with some gorgey goodness.
Biting and clawing.
My armor, pitted and worn
Save me, dear welder!
Dreya
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Exonerate » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Well, I got my degree (from UCSB too, incidentally), moved across the country to the DC region, and have been working as an engineer. After NS died I turned to TF2 to fill the void and am currently playing League of Legends and Tribes: Ascend.

I didn't really play the NS2 while it was in development and only recently really played around with it a bit... and I must confess I'm disappointed with how it's turned out in terms of gameplay.
Exonerate
Champion of Bengay

Postby Good Eats » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:02 pm

I started to play NS1 shortly before its demise. Not long after the end of NS I started a company and dissappeared from the internet. Still in business and managed to grow every year!

I'm starting to spend some of the infrequent free time playing SC2 or less likely D3.

SC2 ID IAmACloud.333

-Eats.
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and calculus don't mix.
Good Eats
Fogey
Fogey

Postby InvaderGir » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Never thought I would see this board again.

Yes its InvaderGir. Currently working at a startup company here in Goleta called Auto Vitals. I got NS 2 right when it was released for pre ordering. Been playing that for a while now. Mainly I play BF3 and have been in Alienware Arena.

Got married to my highschool crush in march. Working on buying a new house and start my family next december (2013). Aside from that nothing else really new.

Good to see you guys! I might stop by one day and join your vent/mumble/TS3! :)

Also I now go by WounderBot :P
InvaderGir
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Postby Sancho » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Hey old folks! Let's see, I've been mostly playing games and traveling. Currently residing in Seattle. Last games I've been playing are Resident Evil 5, XCOM, and SC2 (plat 1v1), and of course NS2

EDIT: It's crazy that when I registered to this forum was over 8 years ago. I was 19 years old >_<
Sancho
Sensuous Señor Sombrero
Sensuous Señor Sombrero

Postby shipwreck » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:25 am

Hello, my most honorable and admirable old people! I am so very glad to have this forum back up. I have missed it so.

Like Sancho, it is very crazy to think about how long I've been lerking in these parts. I joined (as Mastodon) in June of 2003, so 9 years ago when I was just a sprout still in college.

Anyhoo, since the previous board I have actually cut back on PC games a lot. The only real video gaming I've been doing is LOTRO (go Rohan!) and a bit of NS2. I also started a co-op campaign of Portal 2 with my bro, but we're both too busy to keep it up. Mostly I have been doing a lot of tabletop gaming! So board games and card games, like The Lord of the Rings and Call of Cthulhu living card games. If I ever get more disposable income, I mean to build up a heft board game collexion.

Outside of the gaming world, I've been trying to write more diligently. Baby Ship (or 'shiplet', to rip off Owleh) is over 10 months! Mrs. shipwreck is doing well and being a very willing spouse in playing all these new games with me.

I've had both hips replaced and am hopped up on ED medication.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby T. Ali » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:07 am

Wow, got my uid/pw correct on the first try.

I'm trying to remember how long it's been since I played NS regularly / incessantly, probably back when I was last underemployed, which would also have been before marrying my gf and having kids.

I've been six years managing IT for an animation company now, love my job. Two kids, one in kindergarten the other in diapers. One of them is singing "mahna mahna" while coloring, wearing a ballet outfit as we speak. Turns out I love kids.

Video game time now confined to late nights when I can't sleep, I've made my way through a number of solo games, mutiplayer has been almost entirely Left for Dead 2 (although pretty much done with that now) and Team Fortress 2. TFC was my background before getting sucked into playing NS with the fogies so TF2 is a pretty good fit. I also recently dusted off my fascination with Dwarf Fortress. That game is nuts. Like, the guy who makes it literally is probably nuts.

I also have a recurring bro date where we play board games: Carcassonne, Small World, Dominion, etc. Good stuff.

I've taken a good look at NS2 although I have yet to try playing it. It looks great. NS was a pinnacle game experience for me so it has some big shoes to fill, although truthfully I know I won't be able to put in enough time to really get into it, alas.

Always nice to hear from the fogies.
T. Ali
Power Nerd
Power Nerd

Postby Feyd Rautha » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:14 pm

* Living in the Seattle Area.
* Avid Bike commuter.
* Still working at the same company for 9+ years.
* Currently Playing Guild Wars 2, waiting to see if they fix the issues I hate in NS2.
* Still drinking the Cognac, but have been on a Gin and Tonic kick for some reason lately.
* Currently enjoying some Infected Mushroom on the tunes while I try to close out some bugs for work.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby Cpt.Shwan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 pm

- Spent my 5 years in the Army, seeing the world and meeting interesting people and whatnot.
- Back to school finishing up my Poli Sci degree in Arizona, the GI bill takes care of my finances mostly so I just have to part time work during the summer.
- Playing some XCOM and Planetside2 until NS launches.

etc. etc. etc.
AKA Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard
Cpt.Shwan
Over the Hill

Postby AmiroKitsune » Sat Oct 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Look at all these familiar faces.

I bought a log cabin about 1 hour east of Seattle. Currently playing Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Starwars the Old Republic, but mostly just Borderlands 2 lately. Still working the same job as the past 11 years.
AmiroKitsune
Fogey
Fogey

Postby mowph » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:17 pm

Has it been four years? Six years? That was an AWESOME nap!

No wait I think there was a kid involved in there somewhere. Well fortunately it is almost ready to be shipped off to elementary school. Been back, forth, up and down, and I am back to almost exactly where I was last time I posted!

So here is a fogey moment storey for you. Seeing the fogey-signal, I ambled down to Ye Old Back Porche. I found it locked, but fortunately an old key I hadn't used for years and years fit perfectly! Inside, hanging the key up on a trusty hook, "HALLO! Hmm, nobody here yet. Well to kill some time let's fiddle with this lock. That's not quite right, let me see it from the outside. >CLIK< ... HALP! IT'S COLD AND THERE ARE WOLVES OUT HERE!!" :bear:

Note to other fogies responding to the fogey-signal: If you change your e-mail address you will be temporarily locked out while your account is reactivated :!:
Tim
[OldF]_mowph
mowph
Nipponophile
Nipponophile

Next

Return to General