Looking For Networking Help...

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Looking For Networking Help...

Postby McRiot » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:44 pm

First my setup. I'm on wireless with little access to the router but that's really not an issue.

I have a wireless adapter on my main PC and 2 Ethernet ports.

I have setup Internet Sharing (ICS) http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/wind ... -computers

So my computer(s) in the other room can also have internet, that all works fine.

The Problem;

File transfers and sharing is not up to my standards, both computers have gigabit ethernet cards and are connected through a gigabite switch but it's struggling just to browse the other computer nevermind transferring files. All computers are running Windows 7. I'm fairly competent in Networking but I'm not sure what's happening here or if I should specify addressing. I guess the question is, can Internet Connection Sharing co-exist with simple Networking.

I could have sworn I had this working before. Anyhow, any help, tips, ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Re: Looking For Networking Help...

Postby clamatius » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:34 pm

Do you have any packet loss between the two computers? (ping should be able to tell you)

I haven't used ICS in more than 10 years. It didn't work all that well back then, but I would hope that it's better now.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Feyd Rautha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:59 pm

So I see you're stealing internet from some hapless neighbor's wireless

Does the other computer also have wireless? Perhaps there's a bridge loop?

Hard to say what's going on, what speeds does windows say it's getting? I get a clear 100MB/s here on a gigabit link between two win7 computers, but only 25MB/s on a gigabit link between this computer and a small low power appliance.
Feyd
(!wired)?(coffee++):(wired);
xbox360,PS3,skype: othermark
http://twitter.com/atkin901
Feyd Rautha
Best. Mic. Evar.
Best. Mic. Evar.

Postby McRiot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:41 pm

Feyd Rautha wrote:So I see you're stealing internet from some hapless neighbor's wireless

hah no, wireless is coming from my landlords upstairs. It's all legit.

I figured out the stability issue, turns out I was using 1 crap ethernet cat5 cable. Changed it to a cat6 and all is well in my world again (media streaming, file transferring and internet sharing), although I feel like the speed still should be faster but I'm sufficiently satisfied for the moment.

So in conclusion my setup and configuration was correct just overlooked the wires o.0. Always check your cables first +)
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby Frosty Topaz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Do you have any hard numbers on the speed?

If not try using robocopy (part of win7) to transfer some big files as a test. It should log some stats for you. "roboycopy /?" at the command prompt for usage info.
Frosty Topaz

It isn't easy being ice-encrusted aluminum silicate flouride hydroxide...
Frosty Topaz
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:25 pm

Honestly ICS is not that great.

You might be better served if you have an old DD-WRT compatible router laying around, and configuring it in one of two ways:
  1. Client Bridge [linky] - Essentially "bridging" your host WiFi AP with your AP (router), this is if you want to be on the same subnet as the host... basically on the same network.
  2. Client Mode [linky] - Essentially using your host WiFi AP as the WAN (Internet) connection, this is if you want to be on a separate subnet... basically your own separate network.

Not only is this setup a lot more reliable, but now you can connect your computers to an actual router instead of using the crap ICS :)

If you don't have a DD-WRT compatible router, they are super cheap for basic models. You won't really be caring much about throughput with your setup, only latency and reliability. Here is a list of compatible routers [linky]. A good example is the ASUS RT-N10+ which is usually around $28 USD but sometimes goes on sale for less than $15 USD!
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz
the Chivalrous Cybernetics Lover

Postby Faust » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:30 pm

That's a good suggestion Proph. I once set up my Tomato-powered Linksys router as a client bridge for a while when I was leeching wifi off of my landlord's connection. I :heart: opensource router firmware!
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby pr0phetik_dreamz » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Tomato will work too... both DD-WRT and Tomato are pretty easy to use, though some people prefer Tomato because it's prettier lol.
An Original American Pai
pr0phetik_dreamz

Postby McRiot » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:13 am

Thank you, I am aware of this :) I just don't currently have a router handy, for the moment the setup I have is sufficient. Other then the problem with having a defective cable everything seems to be running just peachy. Speeds could be faster on the internal networking but I'm pretty sure I know what's causing the bottle neck and just haven't got to toying with it yet.
McRiot

McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Return to General