Should I get a cat

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Should I get a cat

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:09 pm

I like kitties.

I am also a lazy bastard and spend too much time playing video games.

Does anyone here have a cat, and care to comment on how much time a week they end up investing dealing with cat-chores? Any breed advice?

Just tentative research here.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Re: Should I get a cat

Postby Faust » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:46 pm

They can be pretty cool. You'll have to feed them in the morning and at dinner time... that doesn't take long. You'll also need to filter out undesirables from the litter box at least once a week.

I highly suggest, if not plead to prospective cat owners to get one from a shelter or the spca. Shelters are overflowing with cats that need a home.

As a tenant to another tenant, owning pets is super tough when it comes to finding a new place to rent. A very high percentage of landlords do not want pets living on their premises. If you're going to go ahead with this, make sure that your current landlord is cool with that and it's allowed in your tenancy agreement. From what I hear, many if not most cats that get dumped off at shelters are due to frustrated tenants who can't find appropriate pet-friendly housing in their area.

Owning a pet is a lifelong commitment (the pet's lifetime typically). If you think there might be plausible situations where you will need to get rid of your pet (moving to another part of the country/planet, moving into pet-unfriendly housing, etc.), I'd suggest not owning a pet. I say this as according to my mother who volunteers at a shelter, pets get strongly attached to their owners... they do not take the transition to shelter life very well. Some cats new to the shelter suffer a very stark behaviour shift. They keep to themselves and stop eating... eventually dying. This is interpreted as depression.

In my experience, and from what I sometimes hear from other cat owners, is that they tend to lead much longer lives if they are restricted to indoors.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Wolfgang » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:40 pm

I can't say much that Faust hasn't said, other than that you might want to look into spay/neutering and shots if the cat is going to be outside, though at least around here most shelters take care of that.There are certainly many risks to feline's well being outside - we've never risked it except when we've lived in rather rural places, and made sure to get them back in before nightfall. De-clawing is an option if the cat is indoor exclusively, though there are varied opinions on whether or not it is cruel. As for breeds, short hair cats are easier to groom from my experience. Some breeds are reportedly linked to certain behaviors, though I tend toward thinking it has more to do with their environment and past.

After getting my cat neutered and after he'd gotten in the habit of using the litterbox exclusively, he became pretty low maintenance and high distraction. Food twice a day, fresh water at least once a morning, some petting and caring whenever he deigns to be around, and he seems pretty fine. That said, sometimes I'll find I've spent thirty or more minutes sitting and playing with him without even realizing it.
Wolfgang
Fogey
Fogey

Postby GrayDuck » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:57 pm

I got a pound kitty 11 years ago. I'm a dog person, this was my first cat. He's a great cat, but he's gone through phases of his life (usually when he's irritated at us I think) that he chooses to pee somewhere other than his litter box. There is nothing worse than that smell - at ( at least) one point I was ready to box him up and send him packing. (but I didn't)

He's declawed so he doesn't destroy anything (a plus), he's a lover, and when he was a kitten I taught him to shake, and he still will for a treat :) </brag>

Timewise, he gets fed in the AM & PM (we use only dry food - none of that fancy/stinky crap), and we change his box every garbage day - definitely low maintenance.

I hear that boy cats are generally more social than girl cats.
GrayDuck
Champion of Bengay

Postby Darwin » Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:43 pm

"Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby The Nighthawk » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:08 pm

A cat should totally fit the bill then!! :lol:
A person who won't think has no advantage over someone who can't think
The Nighthawk
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!
Dagger, Shield, CLAW!!!

Postby Good Eats » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:10 am

If you are looking at kittens, I would get two of them. That way they can keep each other busy when you are gone. Or, more likely, get into twice as much trouble.

Two older cats may not get along.

-Eats
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and calculus don't mix.
Good Eats
Fogey
Fogey

Postby clamatius » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:44 pm

Cats climb and jump. In the unlikely event that you have breakable things, e.g. decorations, in your house the cats will most likely knock them off shelves.

Spaying or neutering is highly advisable, especially for a tomcat. If you don't neuter a tom, quite a lot of them will pee all over your house to mark territory.
Obligatory blog link.
clamatius
Domo Arigato...
Domo Arigato...

Postby Cpt.Shwan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 pm

Automatic Cat Box Cleaner + Automatic Laser Light Toy = Maximum enjoyment, minimum (time) investment!
AKA Sir Roderick Ponce Von Fontlebottom the Magnificent Bastard
Cpt.Shwan
Over the Hill

Postby mooseman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:57 pm

Regarding the landlord situation, I think some of them are firm about the "no pets" rule, but that a lot of them simply use that as a way to filter out people that they don't want to rent to. I have never had a problem finding a rental (with a dog). I mean, c'mon. Everyone has pets, right? It's not like kids are any less hard on a property than pets. The only stains on the carpet hereabouts were produced by rambunctious youths knocking things over.

Cats are great companions. Lots of fun to watch them play. Dogs get you out of the house, though, you have to consider that.

It's funny, we are all writing to you as if you were from another planet and had never interacted with the Earth species Felis catus.

Yes, get a cat. And spawn some damn kids too. Get with the program here. Life is passing you by.

Either that or start your world travels. Sweden has really fast internet, I hear. I used to have a programmer colleague who worked on websites with me, from Prague. Using VOIP you can work anywhere.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby Faust » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:00 pm

Regarding the landlord situation, I think some of them are firm about the "no pets" rule, but that a lot of them simply use that as a way to filter out people that they don't want to rent to. I have never had a problem finding a rental (with a dog). I mean, c'mon. Everyone has pets, right? It's not like kids are any less hard on a property than pets. The only stains on the carpet hereabouts were produced by rambunctious youths knocking things over.

I think it depends where in the world you are renting. Where Florp and I live, many landlords tend to have been raised in cultures where pet ownership doesn't seem to have been very common, or not as common to what has been typical in North America for generations. From my experience, many landlords here just aren't used to the idea of pets. Of course this isn't always the case. I have managed to convince a few landlords to accept my cat. In fact most if not all the places I've lived in were advertised as "no pets" housing. I actually have used the argument that kids can be as messy/damaging to a suite as pets, if not more so. The argument does have some effect. That being the case, there are still many landlords here who are quite firm on the "no pets" policy.

Edit: Changed a name.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Ni » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:55 pm

Young cats are much better than really old cats (who spend 23 hours a day sleeping and 1 hour a day puking on the floor).
Nothing makes a woman angrier than a sleeping man. --Anon
Ni
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly
He Who Demands Shrubberies Uncouthly

Postby shipwreck » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:00 am

Get a dog and a cat and train them to work as a tag team.
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby Pykl » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Our first cat lasted ten years primarily as an indoor cat. He got really lethargic so I took him to the vet and he was loaded with at least 5 large tumors. I was expecting to get him some pills but had to put him down, it was pretty rough. We got another cat about 6 months later who is very pretty however he is rarely affectionate, is one of about 10% of cats that won't drink water, hence he has to eat wet food 3 times a day, and when we go on holidays we have to find a cat sitter. We also have to keep all the bathroom doors shut cause he loves crapping in the empty tubs. Both cats peed on stuff around the house. We like pets but they can be a real challenge some times.

We got a dog last summer, half border collie half greater swiss mountain. He's a nice dog but he has yet to learn any manners and he is substantially more work. Every day is a struggle with him pretty much.

We have also had fish for years. Finding time to clean the tank is always tough because we have two kids that are in a lot of activities and are running with them most of our spare time.

Just some words of experience. You need to be prepared for whatever personality of animal you get because that's really hard to know when you pick them.
Pykl
Elder
Elder

Return to General