Boxing week - computer upgrade

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Re: Boxing week - computer upgrade

Postby Canuck148 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 am

Furious Gorge wrote:
Canuck148 wrote:I'm using a 1 GB AMD HD5700 from my old rig. I've been looking at a 2 GB HD 7870 for $200 at NCIX, which I will probably upgarde too in the next few days.

Canuck: You might already be looking at this one, but if not, consider it!
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ncix-pow ... a-1280279/

Nice find FG! Card ordered and on its way.
Canuck148
Uber Fogey
Uber Fogey

Postby Faust » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 am

That's a nice detailed break down, FG. :like:
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Furious Gorge » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:05 pm

Spoke to Canuck. Said he discovered a 12ms delay. He adjusted his settings and now is able to hit skulks better.

Also, I should say that the graphics rendering is fairly efficient, such that changing from low to high textures does not really affect frame rate. What affects frame rate more is the bandwidth of higher resolutions. So if you're seeing a delay, you'll get the most bang for your buck from reducing your resolution.

I've also read that windowed mode gives better frame rates for some computers, although it seems counter-intuitive. For my computer, it helps.
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Plan 9 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:55 pm

Definitely getting the bug to upgrade my rig the more I play NS2. Running the game at 800x600 on my rig gives me decent frame rates with all graphics options turned off but switching maps is painful though. Some games are already well underway by the time the new map loads for me :D I've got some research to do since I've slacked off and haven't kept up with the hardware improvements in the last 4 years or so.
-Plan 9 aka moss (IT Crowd)
Plan 9
Flap, flap, flap....
Flap, flap, flap....

Postby Furious Gorge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:41 pm

Ahhh... no wonder you always join late!

Faust's build is probably really good. You'll definitely still need to overclock to get the best frame rates as the game is very CPU (vs GPU) limited.

The graphics card won't matter as much unless you want to run at or greater than 1920x1080 If you're okay with something less, I'm running at 1600x900 on an old ATI 5850 with very good FPS.

If I can find a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti in the next few months at about $200 or so (waiting for a price drop), I'll probably spring for one.
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:59 pm

I am running NS off of a solid state drive and am 99% of the time the first one to load (which lets me jump on aliens :mrgreen: ). The game boots up fully in 3 seconds from clicking the button. Highly recommended.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:02 pm

Wait wait wait wait wait...

You mean there's a way around waiting for the dreaded pre-cache stage? Some days it'll take me 3 minutes to load that part on first run.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Faust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:08 am

I second the suggestion of running ns2 on an SSD. Load times are super fast, especially when it comes to precaching.

I am very impressed with this new build. I get 200 fps in the ready room with low texture settings. Cranking visual options to max (with the exception of ambient occlusion - I kept that on low) still yields me upwards of 90 fps. I'll have to play closer attention to find out a rough average fps. I forgot how beautiful this game is.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Canuck148 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:01 am

SSD drive will be the next upgrade for my computer. Installed my new vid card last night and was amazed with the how good the game looked. I have pretty much everything turn to max except for a couple settings and had no GPU lag. I did have a crash to desktop, but then several others did at the same time so I'm thinking it was a server hiccup. Took me a couple rounds to get used to playing without lag, but found my stride and was tearing it up pretty good.
Canuck148
Uber Fogey
Uber Fogey

Postby Zenbu » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:31 pm

I second, third, and or fourth the SSD as one of the best quality of life upgrades for a computer.

Also, my mini computer was more of a proof-of-concept as to how far computer hardware has come. For 20 years I have been building massive monstrosities built to house way more hardware and "upgrades" than I actually ended up using. My last computer case was literally 80 pounds of steel. It was insane. I have taken a case that inspired me to challenge a form factor that has been the norm for about a decade, and is being whittled away by the reality that hardware can reach a state of diminishing returns very quickly now, and it's allllll getting smaller. The main reason I am going to rebuild is that I am tired of immature software crippling my experience; AMD's hybrid crossfire just doesn't cut the mustard at the moment, and that's all I'm set up to run for now. Time to try the blue/green team.

Also, techreport's got some neato explanations surrounding frame latencies, and the nvidia/intel setups consistently out perform AMD on both fronts.

Check it out here.

They've done a follow up article since, too.
Totalt Jävla Mörker

Zenbu
Spewing Fantastic!
Spewing Fantastic!

Postby Furious Gorge » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:10 pm

Zenbu, thanks for those reports! I had heard about this great "smoothness" debate, and it was good to see more info on it.

Also, what motherboard form factor are you going with? ITX? mATX? I ask because I'm thinking about upgrading, and I want to go a smaller case as well. I'd want an ITX or mATX that can overclock a K series Intel CPU reliably.
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby Zenbu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:23 am

I personally went to the exact opposite of the spectrum when I built my new system, all the way down to mini ITX, so naturally, I'm all about that. You can generally find either company's most feature filled chipsets shrunk all the way down into that form factor, with just about SLI being the only thing given up. That being said, if you want to abuse SLI, don't go mITX. Or, just go mITX, and get a GTX690, or Radeon 7990 - but good luck finding a mini ITX case that'll fit an 11"+ video card. Here's a recent round-up of some popular Z77 ITX boards on Tomshardware, and the ASUS stands out as the best overclocker, seeing as how they actually integrated an entire daughterboard on the side of the mobo itself full of supporting hardware that wouldn't have fit in the real estate otherwise. The ASRock though, is looking like a really sweet deal at 40$ cheaper, and almost the same overclocking ability. Not to mention they stuffed an mSATA port on the underside of the motherboard itself (SATA 2 though, which is really no big deal if you're not transferring gigantic files over it anyways.) which is key for me, as this is my case, (I'm Amgal, and the picasa album is in the first post) and first build. Space is my biggest enemy at the moment, and the mSATA port saves me space, and cable spaghetti mess.

On the mATX side, ASUS makes a ridiculously over the top motherboard from their ROG series (Republic of Gamers... Hey, at least it's not "F4tal1ty") with everything you could ever want from a motherboard, and an mSATA port, for kicks. Your case choices will be a bit more realistic with a micro ATX board at hand though, I must admit. It's been quite the ride trying to make things work in this tiny thing, but then again, I did go all out in that territory. That being said, mITX is gaining steam, and many many cases have been released in the last year to support the standard, alot even with support for 10-10.5" double slotted video cards - (although beware, most prefer blower types that have an axial fan at the front of the card, to expel waste heat out the back) Silverstone makes some very high quality and popular ones in this market.

Anyways, I'm rambling. It's been a good couple of years for system building, so I've been bursting at the seams with build ideas and random info. I'll stop now.
Totalt Jävla Mörker

Zenbu
Spewing Fantastic!
Spewing Fantastic!

Postby Furious Gorge » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:31 pm

WOW, that is insanely small... and gorgeous! I'm really digging the LCD too! You've definitely got me thinking.

I do like the ITX, and I don't think I'd ever go SLI or Crossfire. I don't usually overclock, but for NS2, at it's current state (and what I believe to be at least for another year), one definitely has to overclock, and so that would be my main consideration... overclock stability, and then price point.

Thanks for sharing! :) Really great job!
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Very nice Zenbu!
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT

Postby Doofus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:16 pm

That's a slick little rig.

I upgraded just a few weeks ago after the holidays as well, but I tried to only upgrade parts I needed to upgrade, so, hard drives and CD/DVD drivers, PSU and the case remained the same, but I did purchase these:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Doofus
Champion of Bengay

PreviousNext

Return to General