System Shock 2 Get your Insurance eerrr game

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

System Shock 2 Get your Insurance eerrr game

Postby zolop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 am

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/system_shock_2

Praise the almighty heavens... now I bought it but am still downloading now to confirm its stability on win 6 64 operating system.

Reference to "insurance" if anyone is curious

"but the rights to the title have been complicated between Electronic Arts and Meadowbrook Insurance Group, the entity that acquired the assets of Looking Glass Studios on their closure. Stephen Kick of Night Dive Studios, seeking to bring the game to modern systems, started negotiations with the rights holders in October 2012, and was able to secure the rights to update and release the game for modern systems. Kick worked with GOG.com for a timed-exclusive release on the site in mid-February 2013, with plans later for release on Steam. This version, considered by GOG.com to be a "collector's edition", includes updates to the original game to make it work on modern systems while still allowing user-made modifications to be applied, and will contain additional material such as the game's soundtrack, maps of the Von Braun, and the original pitch document for the game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Shock_2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wjInQTZKk Her voice :P
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Re: System Shock 2 Get your Insurance eerrr game

Postby Faust » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:00 am

I'm pretty excited about this release too. I'm glad GOG was able to pull it off.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

rreaaaalllly.

I may have to give this another whirl.

I'll wait for the steam release though.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby mrmoo2002 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 pm

I feel ashamed that I missed this one (I knew about the BioShock connection). This seems more horror-focused than BioShock, but not to the extent of something like FEAR (the first one only....we don't talk about 2 and 3...). I'll probably pick it up when it comes to Steam.
mrmoo2002
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby zolop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:27 pm

Florp Incarnate wrote:rreaaaalllly.

I may have to give this another whirl.

I'll wait for the steam release though.

Just be aware that you get this only at gog.com, until we know for certain what steam SS2 @ $9.99 gets ya.

wallpaper
Ken Levine radio interview
soundtrack (FLAC)
soundtrack (MP3)
2 avatars
SHODAN full size render
28 artworks
pitch document
2 concept maps
"

I am escpecially interested in the FLAC audio codec soundtrack since I do HAve Media Monkey to encode to very high quality MP3. The pitch document for me is interesting historically since a lot of Game Design Documents are written differently today. The rest of the items I have some interest in though, but not compared to the ones mentioned.
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Faust » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:32 pm

GoG has also patched the game to work on modern systems. Steam doesn't do this. Also, nearly everything if not all games on GOG are drm-free.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby zolop » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:21 pm

Faust wrote:GoG has also patched the game to work on modern systems. Steam doesn't do this. Also, nearly everything if not all games on GOG are drm-free.

Yeah that more importantly Too, it is DRM free, again DRM free

I can confirm that it is working well on Win 7 64. One bug found and a simple fix was found. If you ahve flickering graphic follow the instructions below...

http://www.gog.com/forum/system_shock_2 ... aphics_ati

This is my edit in that file mentioned in that link above
NOTE : are comments in a programming language, this means that when a machine application reads it it ignore it (the text is for the person who is making up the actual code structure), like Shodan does with human condition...C++ is alive, or was it python...

code wrote:...
; extended config (currently loaded prior to cam.cfg)
;
; contains defaults to enable enhancements and other settings to run nicely on modern systems
; (remove/rename file to go old school)

; ------------
; display mode
; ------------

; enable Direct3D 9 based display system (instead of the legacy DirectX 6 one)
use_d3d_display

;To stop flickering video
d3d_disp_no_rgb10_buf

; use a single resolution for both menu system and in-game, with normal double buffering (in fullscreen)
single_display_mode 2
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:48 pm

Dont care about most of that stuff but Zolop told me it has COOP.

I involuntarily jerked so hard when I saw that, that my wallet flew out of my pants into my monitor, purchasing and installing it instantly
Florp Incarnate

Postby mrmoo2002 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:28 pm

zolop wrote:Yeah that more importantly Too, it is DRM free, again DRM free

That sold me right there. It works on Windows 8 for those that have made the switch!
mrmoo2002
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Faust » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 am

Florp Incarnate wrote:Dont care about most of that stuff but Zolop told me it has COOP.

I involuntarily jerked so hard when I saw that, that my wallet flew out of my pants into my monitor, purchasing and installing it instantly

That's cool and all, and I hope it works. Back in the day, when I was a yougin' in high school, we tried to get co-op working at a lan party. We had no success in getting it to work. Hopefully GOG fixed co-op? Unfortunately they probably put exclusive focus on getting single player working properly. Hopefully I'm wrong though!
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Florp Incarnate » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 am

Zolop and I played coop last night. We each died like 5 times. Our Hybrid wrenchin' skills aren't what they were in our young whipper-snapper days.
Florp Incarnate

Postby zolop » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am

Faust wrote:
Florp Incarnate wrote:Dont care about most of that stuff but Zolop told me it has COOP.

That's cool and all, and I hope it works. Back in the day, when I was a yougin' in high school, we tried to get co-op working at a lan party. We had no success in getting it to work. Hopefully GOG fixed co-op? Unfortunately they probably put exclusive focus on getting single player working properly. Hopefully I'm wrong though!

We did need to use Hamachi to get it working and there was teleporting in some cases. The synchronizing took a big after we finished making our characters, but after that it was pretty much silky smooth, besides some teleporting. We also experienced no crashes at all during our session too, which i think was 45 mins. Whats even cooler if one of us progressed through the story both players would get the voice over and items are not duplicated so if one of the players gets the voice data logs, that person only has them, so it requires a team effort/coordination/planning on the players. Now we've got to try 3 people on co-op next time, a marine, tech and PSI character. Will be interesting in that case to see if any of the warping that did happen during a few times increase.

You need to finish making your characters (get to year 4 of your military service) to finally start the co-op part, for future reference,

Relevent Port Forwarding information, if a lot of descyns are happening, person hosting try using port-forwarding through router using these ports...
TCP & UDP: 2300-2400
TCP & UDP: 28800-28900
zolop
Fogey
Fogey

Return to General