WELL THIS IS A PRETTY COOL ARTICLE...

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

WELL THIS IS A PRETTY COOL ARTICLE...

Postby Niteowl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:54 am

God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Re: WELL THIS IS A PRETTY COOL ARTICLE...

Postby Faust » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:34 pm

That's awesome! This will be much more popular as gamers age. I think we'll start to see age-restricted virtual "spaces" where gamers must be a minimum age to play. This will probably sprout up first in the console world, as something like that would be easier to create and manage.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby shipwreck » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 pm

I love it! I have night terrors of being in an online game with my 8th grade students.

Luckily they only play on console (mostly).
shipwreck
Grumblecake Connoisseur
Grumblecake Connoisseur

Postby mrmoo2002 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:36 pm

shipwreck wrote:I love it! I have night terrors of being in an online game with my 8th grade students.

Luckily they only play on console (mostly).

I, too, shudder at the thought of randomly meeting them online. If it's planned, though, t's not as bad as you may think. Story time!

China is CRAZY about DOTA. When I was teaching over there (certified Canadian highschool), I didn't hide the fact that I was a total geek/gamer (when I had the time). A few students were consistently sleeping in class (a big problem in China) because they'd stay up late playing DOTA or WoW. Their English was terrible and they couldn't keep up with the Canadian-level curriculum (their English provincial exams were a few months away).

So I promised a few that if they came to my tutorial for a month (they kept shrugging it off to play WoW) then I'd play a few games of DOTA with 'em. They made good on their word and so I set up the desks in the room, hooked mine up to the projector and went at it. It was pretty cool. Not awkward at all.

I didn't play with em again due to time constraints and I didn't want to send the wrong message that going to tutorial means they deserve a reward. It was more to let them know that they can be a gamer, sure, but it has to come with balance and priorities for learning English (in this case).

I guess the point I'm making is that I don't see this as a generational phenomenon. The people that understand how to game will do it if they find it interesting. Those that don't know how and don't want to learn have other things. The "older" people who do it now just had more access to it when they were younger and more willing to learn the skills required to play such complex games. Anyone who has tried to teach a non-gamer how to hold a console controller knows what I mean. You want to do this :D but in the end you just :palm:
mrmoo2002
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:39 pm

Good story!

I tried DotA again the other day and got my ass handed to me :) Biggest learning curve of any game EVAR
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Return to General