Strong evidence supporting the existence of hacks for NS2?

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Strong evidence supporting the existence of hacks for NS2?

Postby Faust » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 pm

I saw this in the NS2 subreddit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZDpC3L ... e=youtu.be

There are a few moments where the player (CPl Garroway) snaps his crosshair over large angles seemingly in 100th of a second. The most damning is at 3:25 when CPL's crosshair locks onto a skulk behind a wall, perfectly. Unless first person spectate is broke, the commander didn't scan that area showing the location of the skulk. Guess we'll have to be on the lookout.

I want to remind everyone that determining if someone is hacking can be tricky business in the NS world, as the game attracts a lot of hardcore players, and some of the player base can be very very good (I myself can go 30-5 as lerk). It's also against server rules to make hackusations. If you think someone is hacking use sv_status in console to get their steam ID and report it to an admin. Ideally record a video of them like what I linked here.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Re: Strong evidence supporting the existence of hacks for NS

Postby McRiot » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:30 pm

I've done a lot of lerking through forums and such, sadly theirs plenty demand for NS2 Hacks (Wallhacks, Aimbots and Speedhacks). Seems for now theirs not a lot of developers willing to code hacks for NS2 as it just doesn't have a huge player base. However, theirs still a few amateur developers creeping around coding their own home-brewed hacks. One post I came across this guy is working or possibly completed a hack package;

"I'm putting together a simple ESP / Aimbot / Speedhack to release on here.
Going to try and do a hybrid engine / d3d cheat. Use D3D for drawing, and try to poke the NS2.exe for values such location ( found ), yaw, pitch, roll ( found ), but more importantly, I need to find the entity index loop so I can begin grabbing this information to build a player class. I wanted the textures to make sure chams was complete. Also, going to need to log the new gorge tunnels and babblers as well today."

posted Feb. 26th/28th

the thread that started this:
"I created some chams for this game, dunno if anyone plays it reply and I will release it."
http://i.imgur.com/IXFwhrQ.jpg

NS2 is protected by VAC now however VAC bans are delayed (lag-bans) so even if the hack is detected they may not get banned for a week. Most amateur hacks should be detected by VAC but theirs still many more serious hackers that know the ins and outs of VAC. For more info on how VAC works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat

Disadvantages
- VAC does not detect 'content hacks', where, for example, texture transparency and color are manipulated, since they do not involve modifying any program code. In Source engine games the option to create "pure" servers (sv_pure) that prevent custom content from overwriting the game's defaults was created to alleviate this.[18] Although this does not apply to Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 & Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, which does not allow the editing of any game files except config files.

- VAC can ban users without any hack or game modification

As an admin, I feel evidence such as the youtube video above is enough to warrant a ban. Aimbot/Wallhackers are the worst thing about playing any FPS game and I will always be on the look out :)

Hacks are out there, how well VAC is detecting I'm not to sure. Some people have been VAC banned others have not.
McRiot

http://www.razenet.com
Kisst - GuildWars 2 : Stormbluff Isle
McRiot - League of Legends
McRiot
King of Lan Partays!
King of Lan Partays!

Postby Florp Incarnate » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:05 pm

Just chiming in to remind folks that I enabled texture and model consistency checking a while back to prevent "content" hacks/mods.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Postby Faust » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Many thanks again Florpo! :mrgreen:
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Postby Furious Gorge » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:24 pm

Definitely hacking.

On a plus note, I've always enjoyed watching aimbot vids as it is interesting to see where to aim on a model. Seems like the best place to aim, at around 69ms latency, is slightly behind the model. Now the question is, how good is the first person spectate? Is there a slight delay? Even 500ms may mean that the actual hitbox is synced perfectly with the model? Does any one know? I remember briefly they were trying to discuss that in the UWE forums.

I don't enjoy the lag compensation on NS2. Try playing on a 200ms latency server -- it seems like the high latencies help you, at least for marine side. It's almost easier to get hit registration, in some senses.
[OldF]*Furious Gorge aka 9, 1001, NSPlayer, CAPS LOCK, CLARK KENT
Furious Gorge
OldF sekrat polizei
OldF sekrat polizei

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't much trust the first person spectate. I feel it's too jerky to determine anything from, at least on my machine.
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Amoral » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:08 pm

not even a question, beyond the shooting at walls bit, locking on that looks like locking on, isn't humanly possible. hell, humans just don't aim like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAoIyM8HbHI
cpma rapha footage. check out his lg use, more importantly listen to it. honestly, at a certain point it's good enough and other factors become more important. tracking a bouncy friggin skulk at 100% accuracy for each bounce? yeah right.
Amoral
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Postby Faust » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Amoral wrote:not even a question, beyond the shooting at walls bit, locking on that looks like locking on, isn't humanly possible. hell, humans just don't aim like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAoIyM8HbHI
cpma rapha footage. check out his lg use, more importantly listen to it. honestly, at a certain point it's good enough and other factors become more important. tracking a bouncy friggin skulk at 100% accuracy for each bounce? yeah right.

Thanks for the link Amoral. I agree, my original link is pretty solid evidence of hacking.

I'd like to note here that suspected hackers can be reported to Valve directly. This can be done on their steam profile page. On the right side of the page there is an option to report violation. After clicking on that, click on the suspected cheater radio button and fill in an explanation. Make sure you are logged in first.

If you don't know their steam ID/steam profile, you can find out by using sv_status in console. Once you nab the suspected hacker's NS2 ID, all you need to do is divide that number by 2 (and round down, if applicable). The resulting number is the steam ID. Search google with the steam ID to find the subsequent steam community profile page.
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

Return to General