General Opinions on Descent

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

General Opinions on Descent

Postby Wayward » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I'm curious what the popular consent is on the new map and how much sympathy my feelings will find on the subject. I haven't had much time to play during weekdays so the novelty of it being a new map still pushes me to vote it, only to be reminded why people avoid it after 2 games.

The tight corridors favour grouped marines , who usually take full advantage of the lack of maneuvering room for skulks and also force them to attempt to close distance through the many choke points on the map. I'm more than willing to, at the very least, chalk part this up to people not understanding Descent and the avenues available to them to circumvent/flank a position. It does appear that many of the alien life forms are less suited to the structure of the map (intentionally not lerk friendly?).

Is there just a bigger learning curve for aliens on this map? am I a crazy homeless man who finds the prospect of eating his own shoe not wholly unappealing? Should this topic be under the NS2 server section? Important questions to be sure.
Wayward
Young Insolent Whipper Snapper

Re: General Opinions on Descent

Postby mrmoo2002 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:30 pm

I agree with everything you said, though the distances are quite long for marines to travel in the start. Those first 5 mins while phase gates get setup are crucial.

I think aliens just need to be more coordinated in their attacks on this map. At the start, it takes a LONG time for marines to walk to most tech points on the map (excluding hydroanalysis). Early on, if a coordinated group of skulks take out the 2 or 3 marines at a tech point then the marines lose a lot of early and mid-game map control. The long walk back prohibits them from retaking it (alien can gorge it up and have defenses ready/growing by the time the marines get back)

That being said, nothing can stop ARCs on this map. The corners are so tight for bile to work, in some cases. Lerks can get picked off in the narrow openings of corridors.

I like the way you think! eating shoes = more fiber = happy OldF gamers. Everybody wins....even the regulars.....
mrmoo2002
Feeling the Years Pile Up

Postby Darwin » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:25 pm

I clicked thinking...wait...why are we talking about old 3d FPS games....then I realized we weren't and I should probably play some more NS2 and stuff. Moments later I recalled the HoTS launch is basically NOW.

Then I wondered why the forum avatars in this thread were black and white.....Florp. Speak on this.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Red and black are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 2004. Get with the times man!

Also, Descent is decent. It has a scent of repent during lent so bad that I sent a tent to CLARK KENT. It went but I still missed rent.

/microphone drop
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Return to General