Florp's Digital Nomad Adventures

Our Public Forum. Discuss anything with Old Fogies here

Florp's Digital Nomad Adventures

Postby Florp Incarnate » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:27 am

Hi Folks,

I thought this might be of interest to some of the techie folks on here.

I'm in my third year of taking my winters in SE Asia while keeping the same online job. Instead of working from hotels and coffee shops, this year I've moved to co-working places. Right now I'm near the end of my month at http://www.kohub.org in south Thailand. It's an office location and restaurant in one. They have cheap apartment rentals too. It's a pretty slow lifestyle of cheap massages, Thai food, and beach parties. The beach here on Koh Lanta is freakin amazing. Having thoughts about ditching the Vancouver apartment to save money for more permanent travel. Anyway if anyone is interested in that kind of lifestyle choice drop me a line and I'll explain as best as I can.
Florp Incarnate
Resident Non-Thieving Pie Overlord

Re: Florp's Digital Nomad Adventures

Postby mooseman » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:26 pm

I have been interested in digital nomad life for a long time.

How cheap is cheap?

How safe do you feel there?

How's the health care?

Post pictures of thai pies!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
mooseman
Swamp Donkey Overlord
Swamp Donkey Overlord

Postby BigDXLT » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm

Wow, that's nifty. And why does it not surprise me that Florp would find a job where he checks in from half way around the world while stealing pais on a beach whenev's. Wife, dog, mortgage, all that EQUALLY FUN AND REWARDING stuff has me chained-errr-LIVING HAPPILY right where I am... :prayer:
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Florp Incarnate » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:03 am

Sorry, should have replied earlier. I am amazed this forum is still up.

I'm currently in Chiang Mai, in northern Thailand. My apartment is 6000 baht /mo + water + electricity. Meals are an average of 100 baht. 24/7 co-working office space is 3900 baht / mo.

I work all night to satisfy my North American clients. I walk home alone at night constantly and have never felt unsecure. Same goes for other places in Thailand. The only weird experience I've had was being groped by a pack of 5 ladyboys while walking down the street in Bangkok, which was sketchy.

Health care is good, if you can pay.

Chiang Mai is easily the cheapest locale I have seen yet in Thailand, but it also has no beach and is fairly quiet. Great for getting work done.

I found a place with pie, and that costs 50 baht a slice, which is clearly the key cost of living.
Florp Incarnate

Return to General