Relatively Noisy, Relatively Budget Blowing PC

Posts and discussions about serious/illuminating/interesting topics.

Postby Niteowl » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:57 pm

My suggestion is to wait until the game you want to play is out. THen you get the most bang for your buck. For me, I bought because the quad core was on sale from 650 down to 280 (little did I know that it had been permanently slashed to like, 320).
God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time.
Terry Pratchett
Niteowl
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies
Mad Professor Hootarius the Stealer of Space Cookies

Postby BigDXLT » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:14 am

Just out of curiousity, is gaming at 1600x1200 or whatever stupid high resolution really worth it?

The thing I hate with LCD's is doing anything at non-native resolutions sucks. I'd be quite pleased I think with 1280x1024 on a 19 inch, but I'm curious anyway. I just also know that higher resolutions are what can destroy frame rates. (I'm also trying to justify the $100 cheaper 320mb 8800 GTS to myself here as well.)
Funner then chuckin' rocks at a sign!
BigDXLT
the First Motorized Sasquatch

Postby Darwin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 am

BigDXLT wrote:Just out of curiousity, is gaming at 1600x1200 or whatever stupid high resolution really worth it?

The thing I hate with LCD's is doing anything at non-native resolutions sucks. I'd be quite pleased I think with 1280x1024 on a 19 inch, but I'm curious anyway. I just also know that higher resolutions are what can destroy frame rates. (I'm also trying to justify the $100 cheaper 320mb 8800 GTS to myself here as well.)

Rumor was it improves the cone of fire on the hmg....

I prefer it. I suspect it has a negative impact on my aim in fps games, but it looks much nicer.
MeatSpace: David
NS-Darwin
Now Serving 16450
:shock:
"Because keeping people advised requires helpfulness but running a server requires spite."
Darwin
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns
Carnifex of the Akimbo Smoking Guns

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:13 pm

http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=146ED7C1-65D4-1114-7421D40E14C1ABFF-1563159

Bored at work today, (holy crap, finally a slow day this week) put that together. Still a couple months before I can actually pull the trigger though. With taxes it's goes over my budget nicely. (Ha!?)
BigDXLT

Postby Nikon » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:45 pm

BigDXLT wrote:http://pc.ncix.com/ncixpc/ncixpc.cfm?uuid=146ED7C1-65D4-1114-7421D40E14C1ABFF-1563159

Bored at work today, (holy crap, finally a slow day this week) put that together. Still a couple months before I can actually pull the trigger though. With taxes it's goes over my budget nicely. (Ha!?)

just a fyi with the current gen DX10 vid cards, most want a minimum of 750 watts for your power supply!
Nikon.OldF a.k.a. iko | aimless | Boo Radley | Bacchus.OldF

"A true friend stabs you in the front" : Oscar Wilde
Nikon
Leaning Tower of Pieza
Leaning Tower of Pieza

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:13 pm

I think 620 should be fine for that particular card, I recall reading that it isn't the juice hog that most others are. (I think?)

But... either way I should probably go with a bit more juice just to be safe for future upgrades.
BigDXLT

Postby Tainted-Beef » Sun Sep 02, 2007 4:58 pm

I just ordered a new PC for 950$

8880 GTX overclocked (a hair slower than the top of the line ultra)
eVGA 680i motherboard (680i supposrts 32 pipeline SLI meaning 2 16x slots rather than 2 at 8x)
Dual Core E6750 (best bang for your buck at the high end of processors)
2 Gigs of Patriot Extreme Performance Ram (big rebate going on newegg)

Using an old case (centurion 5 + server quality 550w) and 2x Sata hard drives, but you can get a good case, power and 2 hard drives for 250-300$. Which would set you up at a total of just under 1,300, leaving enough extra to invest in a bigger monitor, or even a second video card to use that 32 pipeline SLI!

Toms Power Supply article:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/08/09/ ... page7.html
Part Specific:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/05/30/ ... ing_guide/
Also be sure with the PSU that it has at least 2 PCI-E connectors, 1 for now, and one for later! I would also suggest going with a name brand PSU, you can generally get them for good combo deals with nice cases. The Centurion 5 cases by Cooler Master I have used 3 of and never had anything in them fail, including in my dual xeon, they stay cool and they are 50$ for the case, another 50$ for power, and you can often get them together for 80~$ thru newegg. Antec offers similar deals but I do not have personal experience with their equipment.

P.S. I heavily recommend you go for a raid 0 hard drive setup with more than one drive, you will notice the performance increase on EVERYTHING. Generally things will load and install almost 2x as fast, since the hard drive is the slug of your PC doubling the speed helps a LOT!!!
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef
Unwilling Provider of Filet Mignon

Postby BigDXLT » Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:02 pm

You know, just looking at some basic components, comparing US dollars to Canadian dollars, we're kinda getting ripped off right now. (In the case of a Core 2 Quad 6600, we're paying $40 more than we should be!)
BigDXLT

Postby Tainted-Beef » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:59 pm

I'd guess it's because the value of the dollar has changed, and they figured well they are used to paying more than Americans, so lets just keep the prices higher and see if they notice. If they are really screwing you on the overall cost you could look into getting something shipped for American, I don't know how shipping is but if they don't gouge you it might be worth it.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby BigDXLT » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:51 am

That's sorta what I was just thinking. Will have to see how it pans out in the coming months. It may be worth looking into, particularly if our dollar goes any higher!
BigDXLT

Postby Tainted-Beef » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:27 pm

I built this thing, I don't know what OS you plan on running but if it's vista wait on new drivers before getting an 8 series nvidia (however I heard ATI has the same problems). Currently DX10 cards just don't work well with the only DX10 OS, go Microsoft, Nvidia, and ATI. I think I can get it running a bit better with a lot more cooling since 50% of my issues are the stock intel core 2 Duo fan, but the DX10 drivers still suck. >-< Blah.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby BigDXLT » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:52 pm

lol that's good to know... I'm building my new machine around being DX10 capable. :p

Ah well, with time it can only get better, I hope. Really though, I probably won't even notice, since it'll be such an upgrade for me as it is.

And to top it off, I'm very tempted to go with 64bit Vista. Just to future proof it a bit. (Damnit, may as well use a few of those registers that I'm buying anyway!) Still haven't made up my mind on that one. Either way, I'll be running Ubuntu on it as well.
BigDXLT

Postby Tainted-Beef » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 pm

I wouldn't run anything x64 as a main OS, it's been out for a long time, but there are still problems abound. I've heard it's not so bad with Vista seeing how the things that do not have x64 drivers often do not have Vista drivers either, but I have had problems with CD Burning, and Sound Drivers in the past with x64. It's a lot of money to spend to not have sound or CD Burning capability if you don't get it for free.
ImageImageImageImage
Tainted-Beef

Postby BigDXLT » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:26 pm

Well, I think what I'd do is definately research things like that to make sure that all the components I install have the right drivers.

Take this laptop I'm on right now with vista. The freaking intel graphics chips have this problem where it can't resume the screen after it the laptop goes into sleep mode. The other company laptop, identical to this one has no problem at all, but flash 9 refuses to run on it, and the installshield was broken out of the box! :?

At any rate, I suspect service pack 1 is due pretty quick here (heard before year end?) so hopefully that clears a bunch of things up. I figure, I'm likely to run 5 years with whatever I build now, so I may as well get the good stuff. 64 bit might not be the ticket right now, but I have high hopes for it in the future. (Beyond 4 gigs of ram is one example.)

Also, 64bit is like $10 cheaper than the 32 for ultimate anyway. :p
There is another direction I'm not sure I want to go...

And really, as long as my games work under it, I'll be happy. I'd be quite content with loading up Ubuntu for "everything else."
BigDXLT

Postby Faust » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:32 pm

I will also mention that the retail versions of vista include both the 64-bit and 32-bit version of the OS. To be honest, the info on the the side of the retail box mentions "Information on how to obtain the 64bit Version on DVD." I'm not sure on the specifics on how to do so.

Note that the oem versions are only slightly cheaper then the upgrade retail versions. There is currently a trick with the upgrade versions to execute a full install, without the need of a listed prerequisite version of windows to verify. I believe it has something do with initially installing vista without the cd key, which will cause a trial-limited installation. From that point, you can initiate an upgrade install of vista without physically proving you own a previous version of windows. That being said, if you want get vista now, you might want to pick up a retail upgrade copy of vista home premium or ultimate. That way, you can have both the 32-bit and 64-bit version in one box, instead of regretting your decision one way or the other later if you buy oem.

There is a thorough comparison of the oem and retail versions of vista on ars technica, if you care to read it.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070130-8730.html
Faust
Fogey
Fogey

PreviousNext

Return to Discussions